rear wheel removal

Blue1

I want to remove the rear wheel and on all my previous bikes, you just loosened the axle, pushed it through, rolled the wheel forward to create enough chain slack to remove the chain from sprocket engagement and then took the wheel out.

The FTR Service Manual has a multi-step procedure including removing brake caliper, removing ABS sensor, removing chain guard, and removing chain adjusters.

Upon inspection, I cannot for the life of me figure why anything needs to be done beyond removing the axle nut, sliding the wheel forward to remove the chain from sprocket engagement and just sliding the wheel back to remove it.

What am I missing? I'm not so cocksure of my assessment that Indian put in place all these procedures for no reason, so what gives? why can't the wheel be removed with just sliding the axle out and disengaging the chain?

Please no speculation, I could use input only from those that have actually removed the wheel.

Charliemurphay

It is mainly an effort to make it as accessible as possible and facilitate easier removal and installation.

The caliper and abs sensor in particular need to be removed because the bracket that they mount to just slides in place on the swing arm and moves with the wheel/axle as you adjust chain tension. It also acts as a wheel spacer.

edit: also the adjusters are just the aluminum blocks. You don’t need to remove the bolts, they just push against the blocks and the left hand block is apart of the axle and comes out with it anyways. Out of the stuff listed, you could probably leave the chain guard on but the rest will probably fall out even if you don’t remove it directly.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No different than any other bike. And it’s always easier to unbolt the caliper, as installing the wheel goes smoother.

I know some one who actually damaged the abs sensor installing the wheel, which is probably why indian wants you to remove it.

Blue1

Thanks for the input, this is what I thought, I will be very careful with reinstalling the wheel.