Shifting & Gears Sensor Issue

Ab.riyami

I just got a brand new FTR 1200 S 2019... it’s been a week and just finished the engine breaking mileage, going to send it to the dealer for service. so I didn’t the bike rough yet.
Gear shifting is smooth half of the time and at other times it feels clunky, feels like shifting is forced. The response feedback when it’s smooth or clunky is significantly different...

I’m wondering if it’s normal for the FTRs transmission to feel like that?
Dealer says after servicing it will feel better.

I also got an error code P0915 “Gear Sensor Signal Failure”, the note in the diagnostics menu disappeared, but the check engine light stayed for two days then disappeared. But it still showed up when the dealer did a diagnostic test as “Historic” error.

the dealer told me it should shift better after servicing it and offered to replace the gear sensor but I’m wondering if the issue may be mechanical, any thoughts?

Attachments

• F4CFAE72-801D-4D66-877E-E33C531C66C7.jpeg
    F4CFAE72-801D-4D66-877E-E33C531C66C7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 0BB7E889-349B-461D-BBF6-35972C1655EF.jpeg
    0BB7E889-349B-461D-BBF6-35972C1655EF.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 16

Fuse5

It may the sensor. Had it couple of times too. Riding, oil changed, error reset - gone after 500 to 600 mls.
Got a spare gear sensor before it disappeared, warranty case.

Staedtler

Was there not a recall for the gps? Either which way, sounds like your sensor may be at fault. Easy enough to get a replacement fitted to see if that cures the problem.

WayneFTR

My transmission felt clunky to me also... Then around the 900 mile mark it seems to feel better, stick with it and don't sweat it too much... As long as the free play in the lever is good and your chain slack is correct I'm sure the more miles you put on it it'll get better.

Ab.riyami

Thanks all, I’ll check the slack and tell them to replace the sensor.
It’s all covered by warrantee for 2 years but I’m currently in a period where I can request for a replacement bike if necessary, that ends in a few days so I’ll monitor it further.

Ab.riyami

Was there not a recall for the gps? Either which way, sounds like your sensor may be at fault. Easy enough to get a replacement fitted to see if that cures the problem.
Checked with the VIN, it says recall for the circuit breaker only and marked as applied in Polaris website.
Mine is an international version as I live in the Middle East (Oman)

DeplorableOne

I just realized if the clutch lever isn't in the right place it will hit the stock grip end so it doesn't seem like it fully disengages. I moved mine but didn't get a chance to take it out. I did move them prior to add barend mirrors and had some super clunky shifts afterwards so I'm assuming that's what caused it. I moved it back and will verify it's fixed tomorrow morning

jacau

My gear change sensor logged errors from the day I took delivery. It has finally been replaced under warranty, all good so far