Sprint Air Filters

R. Warshawsky

Update: after some research I am comfortable this is a good product and does what it claims, i.e., reusable medium that filters well. However, the unit I would use is around $250.00, and that buys around 8 Indian paper filters.
I just changed mine at 15k and it looked good. So, I decided to pass.

TheDodgePeg

I know this is an old thread, but people need to stop posting misinformation. SPRINT is the new standard in air filters for power sports. YOU ASK most AMA Superbike or World Superbike what filter they run? It is an F1-85 Sprint Race. They work. Period

Filter media is polyester. You literally can see thru it with the F1-85 race version. The standard P08 version is also of the same type but spun more tightly. VERY similar filtration properties of paper without the restriction. Before I bought a Sprint, I was using DNA. I stopped using K&N when I clearly saw dirt tracks leading down velocity stacks on my KFX700 Vforce I built. This was almost 20 years ago. My Gen 2 Yamaha Vmax's always had DNA. This is when I started testing filters on the DYNO to stop the bullsh!t. 3HP was gained without a filter. Installing the DNA retained the 3HP gain. Putting the OEM filter back in, lost the 3HP. Is this a sh!t ton of HP? No. but it is a gain. There will be MORE gains when the bike is under full load and the airbox is slightly pressurized at 135mph (TRAP SPEED in the 1/4 mile). To be clear, any motor has a CFM requirement. It is up to the engineers to design an airbox large enough to supply the engines demand. Almost all the time, there is size limitation and they have to make concessions. Yes, there are some designs that are near perfect and you will not see much of anything.

The Sprint not only allows more flow (if motor demand is present), but because of the woven polyester, it will straighten airflow and reduce turbulence. The DNA is also known for this.

I have dyno tested the Sprint PO8 on a 2020 KTM 1290 SD GT and a 2022 BMW S1000XR. The KTM made just shy of 3 hp more than with a DNA. The S1000XR made just shy of 4HP more than over the stock element. They are reusable filters! NO OIL! Just shake them off. If the dirt is heavy because you forgot to clean it over 3 years, just use mild dish washing soap and rinse. Let dry and re-install.

Google Sprint air filter dyno's. Go to Brock's Performance and watch him dyno this filter on various bikes just to prove what I am saying. These filters are what all are using on the BMW S1000RR (Dyno 5+ with F1-85). Don't take my word for it. Go look...

I have the F1-85 Race in my FTR. In almost 40 years of STREET motorcycles, I will never using anything, at this point, other than Sprint.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Various other bikes it does work. For the ftr it does not. Tuners have done dyno tests. The way the airbox is designed drop in filters don’t improve hp. Even the ftr tuners will tell you this.

R. Warshawsky

I know this is an old thread, but people need to stop posting misinformation. SPRINT is the new standard in air filters for power sports. YOU ASK most AMA Superbike or World Superbike what filter they run? It is an F1-85 Sprint Race. They work. Period

Filter media is polyester. You literally can see thru it with the F1-85 race version. The standard P08 version is also of the same type but spun more tightly. VERY similar filtration properties of paper without the restriction. Before I bought a Sprint, I was using DNA. I stopped using K&N when I clearly saw dirt tracks leading down velocity stacks on my KFX700 Vforce I built. This was almost 20 years ago. My Gen 2 Yamaha Vmax's always had DNA. This is when I started testing filters on the DYNO to stop the bullsh!t. 3HP was gained without a filter. Installing the DNA retained the 3HP gain. Putting the OEM filter back in, lost the 3HP. Is this a sh!t ton of HP? No. but it is a gain. There will be MORE gains when the bike is under full load and the airbox is slightly pressurized at 135mph (TRAP SPEED in the 1/4 mile). To be clear, any motor has a CFM requirement. It is up to the engineers to design an airbox large enough to supply the engines demand. Almost all the time, there is size limitation and they have to make concessions. Yes, there are some designs that are near perfect and you will not see much of anything.

The Sprint not only allows more flow (if motor demand is present), but because of the woven polyester, it will straighten airflow and reduce turbulence. The DNA is also known for this.

I have dyno tested the Sprint PO8 on a 2020 KTM 1290 SD GT and a 2022 BMW S1000XR. The KTM made just shy of 3 hp more than with a DNA. The S1000XR made just shy of 4HP more than over the stock element. They are reusable filters! NO OIL! Just shake them off. If the dirt is heavy because you forgot to clean it over 3 years, just use mild dish washing soap and rinse. Let dry and re-install.

Google Sprint air filter dyno's. Go to Brock's Performance and watch him dyno this filter on various bikes just to prove what I am saying. These filters are what all are using on the BMW S1000RR (Dyno 5+ with F1-85). Don't take my word for it. Go look...

I have the F1-85 Race in my FTR. In almost 40 years of STREET motorcycles, I will never using anything, at this point, other than Sprint.
What misinformation?

Dry media been around for years. It was a fix for mass air flow elements sensitive to oil build up. Less oil in your intake the better but everything uses MAP sensors now so whatever on the original benefit of dry elements.

Pretty soon UHWMPE elements will replace polyester and yes they’ll be dry too. Oiled media is just fine but it has competition now.

If the sound changes the intake is neat. Dunno if that makes more power but that’s the neatest thing about aftermarket drop ins imo. Hearing the motor at low throttle and exhaust and intake harmonize at high throttle is fun.

My 1290 has aftermarket velocity stacks cuz noise. Idc if it makes claimed 3hp cuz it’s a toy not a competition of split seconds.

My 401 sounds badass with the DNA filter that replaced the lid entirely. Just don’t ride across no street ponds lol

I used a KN drop in for my FTR which isn’t dry and at time I got it was barely available plus no other options at time. Not sure if it makes noise cuz it went in at 500 miles and it’s been tens of thousands since.

FTR has a pretty boring intake side sound compared to my others is all I know. My 1947 Russian boxer clone has better intake sound and it’s a 750 twin pushrod lololol

I’m sure it makes more noise I just not understand why FTR intake is so chill compared to my weed whacker 360cc thumper in a overgrown grom of a husky made in india with child labor and no r and d. :(

Before my toce I vaguely recall the motor being heard over my stock akro’s

Last edited:
Long short, if you really want to split hairs having less oil in your intake means better air volume which means dry > oiled.

But does the oiled filter smooth out the air flow by oiling the pitted or textured intake :)

Have fun making noise with noisier intakes is my take.

R. Warshawsky

Just out of curiosity, do you work for these folks? Still trying to figure out what "misinformation" was set forth...how is stating a reusable filter that actually filters is misinformation?

R. Warshawsky

Long short, if you really want to split hairs having less oil in your intake means better air volume which means dry > oiled.

But does the oiled filter smooth out the air flow by oiling the pitted or textured intake :)

Have fun making noise with noisier intakes is my take.
I'll take that...lol