Standard or S?

Spontini

Hi,
Tried the 1200 S at the local dealer this week and I’m considering buying it. I’m wondering if it is really worth it spending the extra 3,000 or so for the S and the features it comes with. Many of those features, I know I can easily live without like the big screen, the 3 riding modes and the adjustable suspension... None of my past bikes had those features or If theynever used them. I come from Ducati Diavel, Harley Nightrod, Triumph Thruxton.

What is not clear to me is if the Standard model has Traction Control or not. I welcome your suggestions and on the subject of whether I could save those 3,000 or more and still love the bike.

Thanks a lot.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No. It doesn’t. It has abs and no ride modes

If you like to ride hard and adjust your suspension, buy the s. It’s worth the money

Scarecrow

Don’t believe the standard version has traction control. I may be wrong. If you think you won’t miss or won’t use the other things and ok with black might as well save the $$$.
I chose the RR cause I wanted those options. I think it’s worth the extra cash if you want those things.

Spontini

Thanks guys. What would be the difference is riding if any between the Standard and the S in “standard” mode?

Scarecrow

That I don’t know. Never ridden a standard model. I was set on the S model so only test rode the S before I bought. If there’s an Indian dealer near you I suggest you test ride both. And test the different modes in S, maybe you’ll change your mind on not needing/wanting the modes.

mark.lb

The S models comes with a IMU (inertial measurement unit). It makes the ABS and Traction Control lean angle sensitive. It also allows for a wheelie mitigation system. In my opinion this feature is worth every penny of the $2500 between the standard base and S model. The added safety afforded by these features can save your life if you make a mistake or get in over your head. These features can be disabled if you so desire. (maybe on a race track where you want all bike and no nanny)
I have also seen posts on this forum about changing wheel sizes and using tire sizes other than the 150/70-18 inch rear and 120/70-19 inch front that come stock. This may be problematic. The IMU and it’s location on the motorcycle has been calibrated to the stock wheel and tire sizes and can be affected by changing either. Indian warns against this in the Help Center. Here is the statement: [Note that altering the mounting position of the IMU or changing wheel or tire size may result in an unsafe riding condition.] I don’t know how critical this is but Indian felt it necessary to make a recommendation against altering wheel and tire sizes.

LoudFTR

I went with a base model. I got a stellar deal on it at the end of March. I have no regrets about my purchase. I am enamored with it after a few tasteful modifications.

K9F

The standard 1200 is overpriced as it is. For not an horrendous amount more you get so much more with a 1200S, especially as there are some great deals out there to be had. Someone recently picked up an S for the same price as the original ticket price of a standard. Do your research and bag yourself an S at a bargain price would be my path if I were in your shoes.

Spontini

The standard 1200 is overpriced as it is. For not an horrendous amount more you get so much more with a 1200S, especially as there are some great deals out there to be had. Someone recently picked up an S for the same price as the original ticket price of a standard. Do your research and bag yourself an S at a bargain price would be my path if I were in your shoes.
Looks like here in Switzerland the dealers do not discount a bit. They are more generous on parts but on the bikes....Nada!

marcus

@Spontini that's true. I have often asked for a discount. Even for used vehicles. Rarely, a small discount was offered. Not even if one pointed out e.g. Kartzer at the rims or paint (car). Even if the vehicle stands for months.

Dwblack

Hey, I’ve had the Standard for about 10 weeks now and was faced with a similar choice. Dealer had a ex-demo RR and Standard for sale and I went with the Standard. The RR paint job was a bit loud for me and I found the throttle on sport mode snatchy. I wasn’t coming from a bike with all the electronic aids and screen and was after a more basic experience so went with the Standard. I’d get an S if you can stretch to it and there’s one available but the Standard is still an awesome bike. It’s a win win!

Hi,
Tried the 1200 S at the local dealer this week and I’m considering buying it. I’m wondering if it is really worth it spending the extra 3,000 or so for the S and the features it comes with. Many of those features, I know I can easily live without like the big screen, the 3 riding modes and the adjustable suspension... None of my past bikes had those features or If theynever used them. I come from Ducati Diavel, Harley Nightrod, Triumph Thruxton.

What is not clear to me is if the Standard model has Traction Control or not. I welcome your suggestions and on the subject of whether I could save those 3,000 or more and still love the bike.

Thanks a lot.

orcas

i was going for the standard as I liked the instrument panel. Than after talking with the dealer I ended up with the S model. The traction control will save your day sometime when turning/leaning on a wet patch...Go with the S...it's worth the money