Starter switch

DANNO

Just wondering if anyone has experienced starter switch problems? This just started up a couple of days ago, the starter wont engage until I hit the switch several times. I thought that I may have been screwed today, would not start after driven about 10 miles. I'm sure the battery is fine and the kickstand switch works. All that I have to do is repeatedly press the switch. Will call dealer tomorrow. I have put a PV3 tune in it recently, but I can't imagine that would affect it. Thanks for your input!

Max Kool

If I understand correctly, it's literally as if the starter button doesn't make proper contact? Maybe it's just a bit or dust/dirt. I'd start with spraying compressed air or contact cleaner in it....(no WD-40, this leaves a tacky layer)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If I understand correctly, it's literally as if the starter button doesn't make proper contact? Maybe it's just a bit or dust/dirt. I'd start with spraying compressed air or contact cleaner in it....(no WD-40, this leaves a tacky layer)

actually wd40 is recommenced for cleaning out switched. As is also sucks up water. It’s in the sicass wiring kit cleaning procedures for motorcycles.
And acf50 does work in switches and connectors as it’s non conductive.

mark.lb

Take it back to the dealership. A new bike should not come standard with a finicky starter switch....

DANNO

UPDATE: Bikes been at the dealer for 5 weeks, they still can't figure it out. I got the factory service manual, looks like I might have to fix it myself. The next nearest dealer is 275 miles away!

DANNO

I fixed the bike, all it was was the starter relay. Swapped it out with the horn relay and now the bike starts just fine, but the horn dosen't work. They gave me a new relay. Pretty basic diagnostic stuff, not happy with the dealer.

mark.lb

It is very disappointing to hear the dealer could not sort such a simple issue. I believe you said they had your bike for several weeks. The service department and technicians at Pitt Cycles my dealer so far have been excellent. Maybe it is time to switch dealers if another is available.

DANNO

do you have the part number for the relay? I am having the same exact issue with my bike. View attachment 2199

do you have the part number for the relay? I am having the same exact issue with my bike. View attachment 2199
I'M NOT SURE OF THE PART#, THEY CHANGED IT UNDER WARRANTY. I DO KNOW THAT IT IS THE SAME RELAY AS THE HORN, JUST SWAP THEM AND SEE IF THE HORN STOPS WORKING. BOTH RELAYS ARE IN THE FUSE BOX ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BIKE.