1200 Miles, Dallas TX to Daytona Beach, FL

That is quite some effect. I bought two Quadlocks, one for each bike then read about the issue with the vibration potentially eating cameras and bought two anti-vib mountings before I would use the Quadlock. Glad I did now.

View attachment 2946

I understand fully, my tail bone numbs after 200 miles on the OEM seat and makes for an uncomfortable ride thereon on longer haul trips hence my investment in the Airhawk.

The mark up on a Corbin is horrendous over here about 80% last time I looked. Nevertheless if you add customs duty, VAT at 20% plus shipping to the USA price to here the price certainly does rapidly stack up. Ironically the European Outlet for Corbin is in my home town run by a guy called Mark Brattistini (of the customized Harley-Davidson ilk) whom I spoke to in detail. A pallet of seats shipped to the UK used to cost $800, because of the demand, limited flights and Covid this has now soared to $2500 which has to be naturally passed on to the customer. Whilst the price is still quite high and I am a key-worker that afforded me a 10% discount straight off with Corbin Europe a deal was struck whereupon it is certainly more easily digestible than the 80% mark up I would have had to swallow. I was going to get my original seat reworked but now we are heading out of lock-down and riding season has effectively commenced I don't want to be without a seat or journey the hour and a half back and forth to the upholsterers to get it right. The deal is done. From what I have read, both Saddlemen and Corbin need I believe quite a break-in period to feel fully at home?
Good lord dude... I'm not spending anywhere NEAR $800 on a seat. That's just insanely high; I've already decided the MOST I'll spend on a NICE seat is Saddlemen's like $450 I think. I've seen it on sale on a site for $360 but it's on back-order so I haven't ordered it yet. I'm wanting a better seat so bad.

K9F

Good lord dude... I'm not spending anywhere NEAR $800 on a seat. That's just insanely high...........

Strange way of looking at it perhaps?

I am in the throes of using my last remaining holiday for this year. I only work three day weeks so three days holiday submission equates to 11 days off. I had 12 days left to use. A mate of mine has just bought his wife a small commercial property to turn it into a coffee shop. He needed a qualified electrician to reconfigure and fit two new ring mains into the property and sort out the existing electrics in preparation for the panini toasters, coffee machines, water boiler and macerator etc to be supplied. Well I went and had a look and he asked what it was going to cost him? The answer was easy "I'll make a list and you get the parts I need from the wholesalers. This is going to take me about two to three days to install and the cost will be one Corbin Gunfighter Seat!" I had already negotiated the 80% mark up in price down to 50% with the European Outlet and if you factor in shipping, 20% V.A.T and Customs Duty into the deal the 50% was not so hard to swallow. He is a fellow motorcycle rider and wouldn't have got anyone else at such short notice to do the work or for that price. End result I get my seat free-gratis and he is also more than happy as am I. There is a lot to be said and I am a great advocator of the old fashioned bartering system, it was also possibly the most satisfying and productive two days work I can remember?

Last edited:
Strange way of looking at it perhaps?

I am in the throes of using my last remaining holiday for this year. I only work three day weeks so three days holiday submission equates to 11 days off. I had 12 days left to use. A mate of mine has just bought his wife a small commercial property to turn it into a coffee shop. He needed a qualified electrician to reconfigure and fit two new ring mains into the property and sort out the existing electrics in preparation for the panini toasters, coffee machines, water boiler and macerator etc to be supplied. Well I went and had a look and he asked what it was going to cost him? The answer was easy "I'll make a list and you get the parts I need from the wholesalers. This is going to take me about two to three days to install and the cost will be one Corbin Gunfighter Seat!" I had already negotiated the 80% mark up in price down to 50% with the European Outlet and if you factor in shipping, 20% V.A.T and Customs Duty into the deal the 50% was not so hard to swallow. He is a fellow motorcycle rider and wouldn't have got anyone else at such short notice to do the work or for that price. End result I get my seat free-gratis and he is also more than happy as am I. There is a lot to be said and I am a great advocator of the old fashioned bartering system, it was also possibly the most satisfying and productive two days work I can remember?
No I get it totally brother; I just have such a hard time dropping ANY amount on parts ahah. So with the Stimulus Package we just got; I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a couple mods I'd waited until after Daytona for. Tonight I literally just ordered a Bassani 4-inch Megaphone catless slip-on muffler, an R&G black radiator guard, and then a carbon "faker" looking rear tire hugger, a rear fender that should really help with all that damn spray from the rear tire... I mean it's making up to my backpack and the passenger part of the seat when I ride after rain or god forbid during a wet time. Luckily in TX that doesn't happen a ton, but once I install the Bassani it's going to open up the rear a lot more visually; and I think having that fender on the all black Base will look good. I've already got the Dynojet PV3 and went ahead and sent off for an updated tune for the system so when it arrives I can throw it all on right then and there. Plus I've seen enough videos on the exhaust to see that pulling the stock cans/cat it saves you almost 9.5 pounds seems like after fully installing the Bassani.

I mean I just spent literally $150 in US to get that RG radiator guard and Hugger both from UK shops; the latter some folks can't stand the look of. But that's why motorcycles/cars are so cool; you're literally turning it into an extension of yourself, even if it's crazy money to some people, who cares right ha? I'm going to live my life and enjoy it while I can; I'll be 30 this year and I'm going to live with as few regrets as possible.

Attachments

• hugger2.jpg
    hugger2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
  • RG_RadiatorGuard.jpg
    RG_RadiatorGuard.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Love
Reactions: K9F

K9F

I'm going to live my life and enjoy it while I can; I'll be 30 this year and I'm going to live with as few regrets as possible.

Now that right there is a great ethos by which to live and one I have attempted (with a couple of regrets) to emulate. I wish my children of whom the eldest is as young as you would adopt more of an adventurous spirit and throwing a bit of care to the wind attitude. Two things:

1. We are all living in a hospice with fresh air!
2. None of us gets out of here alive!

cupcake_mike

No I get it totally brother; I just have such a hard time dropping ANY amount on parts ahah. So with the Stimulus Package we just got; I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a couple mods I'd waited until after Daytona for. Tonight I literally just ordered a Bassani 4-inch Megaphone catless slip-on muffler, an R&G black radiator guard, and then a carbon "faker" looking rear tire hugger, a rear fender that should really help with all that damn spray from the rear tire... I mean it's making up to my backpack and the passenger part of the seat when I ride after rain or god forbid during a wet time. Luckily in TX that doesn't happen a ton, but once I install the Bassani it's going to open up the rear a lot more visually; and I think having that fender on the all black Base will look good. I've already got the Dynojet PV3 and went ahead and sent off for an updated tune for the system so when it arrives I can throw it all on right then and there. Plus I've seen enough videos on the exhaust to see that pulling the stock cans/cat it saves you almost 9.5 pounds seems like after fully installing the Bassani.

I mean I just spent literally $150 in US to get that RG radiator guard and Hugger both from UK shops; the latter some folks can't stand the look of. But that's why motorcycles/cars are so cool; you're literally turning it into an extension of yourself, even if it's crazy money to some people, who cares right ha? I'm going to live my life and enjoy it while I can; I'll be 30 this year and I'm going to live with as few regrets as possible.

Sorry to disappoint but I have that hugger, it will make absolutely no difference on the spray on your back and seat, helps keep the bottom of the fuel tank a *little* cleaner, but that's it for what it does (other than looks).

Sorry to disappoint but I have that hugger, it will make absolutely no difference on the spray on your back and seat, helps keep the bottom of the fuel tank a *little* cleaner, but that's it for what it does (other than looks).
Dang really? I was hoping it'd help out; everytime I drive through puddles I end up with drops on the rear of my seat. Now that I've got the Aeromach license plate kit though; it's definitely calmed down.

Max Kool

These are typically installed to keep water/dirt from spraying directly on the -centrally mounted- rear shock on a sports bike. But that's really about it.

These are typically installed to keep water/dirt from spraying directly on the -centrally mounted- rear shock on a sports bike. But that's really about it.
Yeah I guess so; well I did buy it with the look in mind; I'm getting down to the wear-line on my knobbies so it's about time to swap out to some real sportbike tires, that with this hugger should look pretty good. Really transform the look of the bike as much as taking the stock exhaust and cat out opened up the rear so much.

Wayne

Man you have my respect. I'm 64 as well and have made my FTR as comfortable as possible, i.e. rally bars, Corbin gun fighter seat, pro taper pegs, RSD controls and there is no way I would want to be on it that far. For those trips I break out what my kids call the old man bike; my HD street glide with its fairing, Corbin seat and generally more room. The FTR to me is a little cramped for marathon rides. I want to try Daytona next year but I may fly closer and rent rather than make the trek from California. Hard to believe I used to do these kind of rides back in the day on my Norton Commando and thought nothing of it.

Happy Dave

The bike is happiest at 4-6k. Its not a HD with a 6k redline, don't forget. I cruise at 5-5.5k on mine. If I am not doing 85, I don't even shift into 6th.

If anything, go smaller in the rear, going smaller in the front can accelerate chain wear.
I Replaced my rear sprocket with a 46 tooth ,3 teeth smaller then stock and installed a new chain ,I like it much better on the freeway,the engine turns 5000rpm at 90mph

I Replaced my rear sprocket with a 46 tooth ,3 teeth smaller then stock and installed a new chain ,I like it much better on the freeway,the engine turns 5000rpm at 90mph
Oh? I was thinking about dropping 2, but 3 could be doable too... who'd you go with? How is around town?