$1200 quote from dealer for first service and lloydz v6 tune, LOL.

aamike68

😂 I called my local dealer yesterday since I ordered the full Toce exhaust and am planning to install it and the tune the same time as the 500 mile service. He pretty much said $500 for the service, and $500 (cost of tune of course) PLUS an hour or two of labor for the tune. Yeah, im not bringing my bike to the dealership ever again unless I absolutely need to. My understanding is that if I keep my receipts and document the maintenance, my warranty stays intact? Ive worked on my cars and have the tools required, ive just never worked on bikes, I think ill be just fine. Also charging an hour or two for labor $120 to $240 just to plug in my ECU (so ryan can update it remotely) is insane. Ill just mail it and save my money.

edgelett

well the dealer still needs to spend time with your ECU out which means it's time they're not spending working on someone else's bike. it's a little unrealistic to expect them to put the tune on for free. I didn't have much choice as I'm in a whole other country but if you're comfy mailing to Lloydz just make sure you get insurance on your ECU.

as for the service - that seems excessive to charge for the first service to me. The first service is an oil change, tighten anything that has gone loose, check everything over etc.
I'm in Aus and I paid less than $400 AU for mine. so $500 US seems like a LOT.
with your warranty - if you want to do 100% of the maintenance yourself, there is a risk that if anything goes wrong they may claim that the problem was due to it not being serviced by a qualified motorcycle mechanic. I've seen it happen in the past (in the US) with a jet ski, where the person did all their own maintenance and was a car mechanic but the engine had an issue and warranty was denied because it was never serviced by a qualified jet ski mechanic.
I tool my own bike a fair bit but take it to the dealer for the service intervals, mine is out of warranty now though so it's less of an issue.
lots of people tool their own FTRs and have had zero problems - but it's worth being aware of.
of course, they would need to prove that you caused the problem which might be hard for them to do.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
First service billing time from
Imc is around $400. And yes, if you have the dealer flash your ecu they charge an hr labor. If they didn’t they would be loosing money. You can mail your ecu lloydz. But paying for shipping there and back with insurance is around $60 plus a week downtime.

So not that outrageous

aamike68

Yeah I know the dealership needs to make money, Ive just been spending a lot of it lately and it seems like this is something I could do myself and save quite a bit. Also, I'll know that it had been done correctly. I have trust issues with mechanics working on my vehicles, not just from a monetary perspective, but the unknown of whether or not they actually did the complete checklist, tightened every bolt and made every adjustment.

ftr-g

Pick up the oil change kit and do it your self that’s what it am doing that will save you some labor on the service .. that is what I am doing only because the bike I bought has 595 miles on it and the dealer is 50 miles away so l didn’t want to put any more miles on that oil ..

Fuse5

..a way back to 19.. oil change was not that thing even as now.. spending money into and got the FTR running better which take times and updates.
There were a couple of bucks involved to get it done. Will not call it ..*insane.. just work - needs to be done (especially at own needs and flavours).
(*insane.. would be for the special equipments and riders)

The dealer charges book. All dealers do. That’s why it’s expensive. No need to go down a rabbit hole for me on it. Book is book, it’s that simple. Yes it’s a bad value so my compromise I make is do my own work and this is why I don’t own a bmw motorcycle and regret owning my KTM’s.

Next generation of motorcycles (the ones with electronic suspension and 360 radar sensors etc etc) right around the corner are also designed like bmw and KTM, can’t do the work yourself because they’re engineering special tools and gate keeping their service.

Luckily it’s just some things not the whole bike. For example on KTM it’s electronic gate keeping and on bmw it’s just the motorad cantilever suspension (Same suspension Russians used from 30’s to late 40’s lol)

In bmw’s case it seems fine, the motorad suspension is overbuilt and out lasts every bike.

In ktm’s case, it’s rly annoying because that’s the reason ktms break down so much is electronics aren’t that reliable on KTM. My 890 just broke down on a mountain rd over the weekend, just shut down middle of the road when it hit a bump. Couldn’t do anything just says “traction control” and wouldn’t restart. Had to go get the trailer took 3 hours to get the bike home.

Get used to dealer pricing. Each new generation of top shelf motorcycle is locked out more and more. To date my 3 ktms have cost me the price of a 2 week vacation on the road, just in dealership only level electronics failures. I will not be buying more KTM bikes in the future.

Last edited: