2022 FTR Owner Report

Walrus

Update: Started this morning after a cold night in garage without a hiccup. First push. Ran until I shut off. Blipped, no stumble. So I suspect issue is resolved.

JacknJuls

22 base I picked up last weekend and have put 250 miles on so far. Was 31F this morning when I fired it up with no problems. Haven't experienced and surging whatsoever.

Stanger1

22 Carbon here. Delivered Dec of 2021. Only have 400 miles, but yes, still a little surging in the rpm's as everybody else and I always ride it in Sport mode.
Only stalled once.
Temps have only been in the 50's and 60's, but even at that temp, at stop lights, the cylinder deact kicks in a lot. Does sound funny. I would bet in the Summer, that cylinder deact will be engaged within just a few seconds at stop lights.
I know I can cancel that, but will be interesting to see what the bike temps do and how much heat is radiated up at the stops.
Otherwise, bike runs good, better than I expected based on previously owned Vtwins. Love the sound, riding position, overall feel of the bike. I like it.
First American made bike I even had. But have had probably 30 bikes or more over the years.
Still have my 2021 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, which is totally different, but enjoy them both for different reasons.

Walrus

@carbon22: My bike is a base model, no engine modes. One of reasons I picked it. So modes may be reason yours surges. I'm told you can turn off the cylinder deactivation by fiddling with your hi tech screen/AI. My plain Jane can not - or so the Indian techs tell me.

Max Kool

Riding modes have nothing to do with surging, unless your right wrist is the culprit (which often is not the case).

Walrus

OK but riding modes do change the fueling/response. Else there wouldn't be modes. They change it on my Corvette and Porsche.

Walrus

OK so if you're changing the throttle response/mapping isn't that, in essence, changing the fueling/fuel delivery?
Maybe we're divided by language here.

Max Kool

All it does is change “requested throttle opening” in relation to how many degrees you twisted the throttle tube. It does not change the fueling, it simply acts like you opened the twistgrip less or more for the same rotation. Think of it as having a different ratio (progressive) throttle tube on a carbed bike. It does not change the jets in the carb. It only changes how the bike feels, and restricts full opening in rain mode.

Walrus

@max: From an automotive website:
The fuel map inside the ECU is able to adjust the air/fuel mix for maximum efficiency and performance in any condition - that is, as long as the sensors are giving it the right information.

Walrus

All it does is change “requested throttle opening” in relation to how many degrees you twisted the throttle tube. It does not change the fueling, it simply acts like you opened the twistgrip less or more for the same rotation. Think of it as having a different ratio (progressive) throttle tube on a carbed bike. It does not change the jets in the carb. It only changes how the bike feels, and restricts full opening in rain mode.
It does not change the carb. But aren't these bikes fuel injected? Not looking for a fight or bickering, honestly. This is my understanding, which could be wrong.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No. It literally only changes how fast the throttle blades open in relation to how much you twist the throttle. Changes nothing else.

its like adding a pedal commander to your car.

s&s makes a module for the base model you plug in that gives you the throttle modes.

called modes not maps since it’s not changing the tune.

Madmo

22 carbon got it in early March shifter was a bit clunky but buttery smooth after the 500 mile service done at 620 miles paid $250 for the service. Would like to get the tune and exhaust from Ryan and Toce just not tryna spend all my money at once. Had about 800 miles currently

Attachments

• 986ACA44-508F-44EF-9327-B21132C01243.jpeg
    986ACA44-508F-44EF-9327-B21132C01243.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 8FD8E7F4-039C-4D10-8F30-0EB8B64C0A82.jpeg
    8FD8E7F4-039C-4D10-8F30-0EB8B64C0A82.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 13

Webby

Got my new base 2022 today (3/4/22). Based on 50-mile ride, the fueling/throttle response is impeccable. Actually, I'd say downright remarkable. No surging, no stalling. I believe the issue is solved. I test rode a 2019 ages ago that had cold start issues. Kept quitting even during warm up. Not a problem - apparently - on 2022.
That's interesting as mine is new too and it's driving me crazy...so much so that The Lloyd'z Secret Sauce is goin on it Thursday! From the 1600 RPM idle to random throttle blips or surges, chopping the throttle to upshift takes forever to react while banging through the gears so I'm shifting at 3000 RPM unless I wait on it. It's my first throttle by wire bike but Ryan over at Lloyd's assures me this is all fixed when the bike gets "Sauced".

Several of you said it's the first thing you should do to this bike and based on many reviews and discussions on here imma do it. Thanks All!

Walrus

My experience is entirely different. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of engine response - but I didn't ride my bike stock enough to say it wouldn't eventually happen. Had the TOCE & Lloyds less than week after purchase/delivery.

L Avram

Hello forum,
Can the 2022 FTR new owners give us an update on their bikes? Specifically has the ecu/surging/stalling issues been resolved?
Thanks.
Just bought mine in April 2022. I’ve literally put less than 10 miles on the bike and it’s been in the shop three times. Bike dies after 30 mins of riding. All kinds of error codes, some of which the mechanic has never seen before. Polaris Corporate engineers have not found an answer. Claim they’ve never seen a total failure like this before. Bike is a total lemon. Debating whether to have them order a new one or get my money back. They’ve offered to do both. Very, very disappointed in the bike and brand.

Staedtler

Sorry to hear of your woes. But you say Polaris have offered to both offer you a new bike or give you your money back, and you’re disappointed in that response? Personally, aside from your troubles with the bike, I’m not sure you could have asked for a better outcome from Polaris?