2022 love it but surging!

Romerican

So after riding for a while on the new calibration update, it actually feels like it got worse. It's nearly unbearable riding this bike at almost any constant speed because I can feel on and off pull of the engine. Depending on the gear and rpm sometimes it's worst than others. I've never had this issue with any other bike and it's very disappointing.

Last email I got from indian is that per their head tech this variation in rpm is normal and I guess I shouldn't expect smooth cruise control. They said not to worry, the bike was designed to run this way. They didn't address the rest of my issues with the erratic throttle. Wtf?

This is unacceptable to me for a bike I dropped 15k cash on.

Max Kool

Last email I got from indian is that per their head tech this variation in rpm is normal and I guess I shouldn't expect smooth cruise control. They said not to worry, the bike was designed to run this way. They didn't address the rest of my issues with the erratic throttle. Wtf?
"the bike was designed to run this way" what the actual F.... Surging (on cruise control or not) is normal now?

Is this their final stance, and now you're on your own? Time to get official now. Letters, document everything. A feel a lemon case on the horizon.

First let them loan you another 2022 FTR.

Rally

I think the cruise is just being safe and cutting out over bumps. My Harleys used to cut out over potholes and stuff, too.

Difference here is, the Harleys weren't this sensitive and the Harleys would cut out and stay out. The FTR comes back immediately.

Max Kool

I'm sure @Romerican knows the difference between the cruise control cutting out, and surging. Just ride a steady 40mph in third, cruise control or not....

Corndawg

I've had zero fueling issues on my 2022. I have felt the "surging" when using the cruise. I don't believe it is a problem. I feel like the electronic throttle response is a little too fast and you can feel it modulate the throttle is all. This is especially felt going downhill due to normal engine braking and wind resistance slowing the bike and the ECU throttling back up. also my chain slacked out more than any other new bike I've had. I adjusted the chain at my 500 mile service and the cruise control "surging" was reduced. Just my two cents.

Romerican

I understand cruise control on a bike is likely gonna be imperfect. Though if I lock it in at 65mph in 6th it is perfect. Higher or lower speeds, depending on gear and rpm it starts rocking back and forth. I'm mainly annoyed with it doing the same thing in different gears at different rpm, primarily in the 3-4k rpm range. Trying to hold a cruising speed there is annoying as it just can't seem to do it consistently, regardless of road conditions. I've ridden many bikes, never had this issue.

I'm getting rather annoyed with Indians response to it. I love the bike otherwise, spent money on upgrades, I just want a bike that isn't flaky on the throttle, in 2022!

Timps27

Ah, the famous stock surging. Just like 2019...
And not always just stock, did 450 miles of interstate today and even on canned Rev B the 3-4K surge was real. Especially during the morning portion at 50° ambient, guess I need to run some logs during colder ambient and send them off.

Max Kool

I can't even recall the last time I felt surging... (and I am a nit picker). Must have been before V3...

nineteen sixty

I understand cruise control on a bike is likely gonna be imperfect. Though if I lock it in at 65mph in 6th it is perfect. Higher or lower speeds, depending on gear and rpm it starts rocking back and forth. I'm mainly annoyed with it doing the same thing in different gears at different rpm, primarily in the 3-4k rpm range. Trying to hold a cruising speed there is annoying as it just can't seem to do it consistently, regardless of road conditions. I've ridden many bikes, never had this issue.

I'm getting rather annoyed with Indians response to it. I love the bike otherwise, spent money on upgrades, I just want a bike that isn't flaky on the throttle, in 2022!
Regarding the imperfect adjustment and speed control of the cruise control, I too have noticed the defect that greatly disturbs driving, at constant speed, on the motorway. I believe that the defect is linked to an incorrect adjustment of the P (Proportional band) & I (Integration time) parameters in the PI adjustment of the cruise control.
Unfortunately, only Indian electronics technicians can optimize the cruise control adjustment software ....
Will is Power.

Breto

Haven’t experienced it since I got my first tune from Fuel Moto and now with the TOCE and Ryan’s tune I can still say I have never had this trouble. Get it tuned mate…end of all dramas…👍😎

Breto

Hav
Hmmm in keeping with American tradition no motorcycle is ever built but some of the starter kits are quite good. 🖤😳😈🏍️
I have no idea what that means man…🤔 all I can read into that is never buy the first version of anything…close??

D

Deleted member 706

It's an old joke about the Moco.
They don't make motorcycles they're starter kits, you buy them and you make a motorcycle out that. The FTR is a bit like that.

Breto

Yeah well I reckon they called bill gates and asked him how to make a motorcycle that needed constant updates so it would function…just like Microsoft…bug fixes and and expensive add ons…

D

Deleted member 706

Yeah well I reckon they called bill gates and asked him how to make a motorcycle that needed constant updates so it would function…just like Microsoft…bug fixes and and expensive add ons…
Have you heard about the Microsoft vacuum cleaner?
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners. 🤣😜