2022 Surging

Agrid

Oh dear, I see this is a thing. My 2022 Championship Edition had a hassle with a cylinder misfire due to a damaged spark plug. That's sorted but at 400km it still surges pretty badly when I back off and cruise. Do the diagnostics show what fueling map is installed? I feel like I must have an earlier version.

Azamatka

2022 FTR R Carbon owner here: heavy surging at 3000 rpm on 3rd gear at around 40 miles per hour both when I control the speed and when using cruise control (which becomes unbearable within 15 seconds of cruising). Odometer is at 800 kms. The bike is in Dubai, UAE, so the engine is always warm, no cold starts.

Reported it to Indian Motorcycle Dubai, they told me that "the FTR engine loves high revs as it's a sport bike". Don't think I can accept it as a proper explanation even though it's my first bike ever and I discover new things about biking with literally every new mile I ride.

Max Kool

^^ This.

Completely changes your bike. No surging, no more on-off throttle, but a lovely spread of midrange torque.

Max Kool

That's debatable but in general, you warranty is still ok.

- problems start when your bike doesn't run well after tuning. If that is the case you need to revert to your tuning center, and not Indian.
- buy your tune from a tuning center you trust.
- your bike is not "tainted" once it's tuned, and you still have warranty on any part that has nothing to do with the tune.
- if you have something fail in the first two years, and the dealer suspects the tune, it's on them to proof the tune damaged the engine.
- be reasonable in case you have a warranty issue: wear items aren't warranted anyway. Warrranty is against material/production/assembly failures.

I've had my FTR1200 for over 4 years now, tuned from within two weeks after purchase, never had an issue (@ferraiolo1 and I were among the first ones to have our FTR's tuned back in 2019).

Azamatka

This is highly helpful, Max Kool, thanks!!!

My plan is to keep the bike pretty much stock apart from lifting the dash and taking the dB killers out while keeping the baffles (those huge gapes left once the bike is debaffled don't look aesthetically pleasing to me). Once I'm done with that I'll try tuning my ECU with Lloyds guys.

mark.lb

This is highly helpful, Max Kool, thanks!!!

My plan is to keep the bike pretty much stock apart from lifting the dash and taking the dB killers out while keeping the baffles (those huge gapes left once the bike is debaffled don't look aesthetically pleasing to me). Once I'm done with that I'll try tuning my ECU with Lloyds guys.
My 2019 Race Replica is bone stock with the exception of tires, lithium battery and Lloyd’z RTC-V6 tune. Runs great. Smooth throttle response, easy cold starting, no surging and a nice fat torque curve. No problems or issues since new in May 2019.26F65E8F-4C18-4E03-AA25-5DC34F5539B8.jpeg

Agrid

That's good to know. I don't think Lloyd's is compatible with Australian fuels. I'm going to try a local tuner. He was surprised Indian put so little detail into the standard tune.

The surging is really uncomfortable, I'm not "soft", my other ride is a Hypermotard. I am surprised that I have to spend that much on a brand new bike to get it running properly. Plus the potential warranty drama.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s for legal reasons. You have the same fuel we use. You just use the RON rating. Servers members on here from Australia are running his tune. Although I think the main tuning shop there closed.

edgelett

I am in Adelaide and I have a Lloydz tune on my FTR. it smoothed out the throttle, removed the surging, got rid of the 'blip' that happens at low speeds where sometimes the bike auto accelerates at low revs, and woke it up like you wouldn't believe.

I got my tune through Ironheart but sadly they are closed now.
there is another Lloydz remote tuner located in WA - you send your ECU, tell them your setup and they tune it to your specs.

Lloydz tune bikes all around the world - go to the remote tuning section of their website and you'll find who the WA tuner is.