Adding electrical accessories

Hello,
I plan to add a Deltran battery minder and an electric vest to the FTR. I popped the seat off to see what the battery looked like and then remembered that the battery is mounted down by the oil filter.

Has anyone installed something like the Kuryakyn 2208 Motorcycle Accessory or a better solution to add electrical accessories?

I popped the plastic triangular cover off the left side today to see what was behind it. Imagine my surprise at seeing a connector for a battery tender.

Attachments

• ftr-battery-tender.png
    ftr-battery-tender.png
    768.8 KB · Views: 47

rhledge

Yes - mine was peeking out from the side of my bike when I picked it up. Is it standard, or standard on the S or the RR?

According to the owner's manual, it takes a special kind of battery tender because of the battery itself. Haven't researched it yet to know if that's true. Anybody know?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Lots of debate about that.

It’s a lithium battery. And there are special tenders for them. But I’ve used normal tenders on my shorai batteries of the past and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a standard Deltran on my Shorai Lithium for almost 7 years now. But Shorai says you can use the standard Deltran on their site.

I checked out the one Indian recommends and it's pricey! But then again, so is a new Lithium battery.

I cannot say enough good about Shorai. Last year the tender got knocked off my Ducati. By the time I noticed it, the battery was down to just a few volts. I called and spoke to Shawn at Shorai.

He had me send it in and they revived it and sent it back with Saturday delivery for no charge! I will always use Shoriai.

wallycycle

There is unused ignition switched accessory power supply behind the headlamp and the fuse box label is heated grip. 5A fuse.

wallycycle

Nice, thanks for the update!

I am really impressed with Indian.
Here are some photos a member on the other forum graciously posted for this power source.

Blue1

Here are some photos a member on the other forum graciously posted for this power source.

Lots of debate about that.

It’s a lithium battery. And there are special tenders for them. But I’ve used normal tenders on my shorai batteries of the past and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure it's not a lithium battery...the manual speaks of lead sulphation, which I don't believe affects lithium batteries.

It also appears to be larger than I think a lithium battery of equivalent power would be.

The charger mentioned in the manual calls it "recommended", does not say required. I've had mine on a Battery Tender and haven't noticed any issues.

I certainly may be wrong, maybe someone here can confirm or correct.

I guess I was asleep when I looked at the manual. It's an AGM (Absorbent Gas Mat) lead-acid battery.

From the batteryminder site
BatteryMINDer® Model 2012-AGM : 12V 2 AMP Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator For Optima, Odyssey, Polaris, Yuasa & Other High Performance Specialty 12 Volt Sealed AGM Lead-Acid Batteries (Worldwide Usage).

Blue1

I guess I was asleep when I looked at the manual. It's an AGM (Absorbent Gas Mat) lead-acid battery.

From the batteryminder site
BatteryMINDer® Model 2012-AGM : 12V 2 AMP Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator For Optima, Odyssey, Polaris, Yuasa & Other High Performance Specialty 12 Volt Sealed AGM Lead-Acid Batteries (Worldwide Usage).

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not frying my battery with the Battery Tender.