Battery is Dead - AGAIN

EllenGtrGrl

I decided to go for a nice 30 plus mile ride today, after work. It's supposed to rain for the next few days, and considering how much of a battery hog the FTR1200 is, the ride would help to charge up the battery. Well, so much for going for a nice ride after work (the third one since I hooked up the battery last Thursday). The engine turned over kind of hard, and wouldn't fire. After 3 attempts, it decided to not even turn over. Battery voltage went no higher than 12 volts after things decided to call it quits. Goody! I get to pull the stupid battery out of the bike (it's a bear to do - it likes to jam between the battery pan, and the front cylinder header pipe), put it on a charger (in my apartment no less - there are no power outlets in the underground garage for my apartment building), and try to keep my cat away from a charging battery. Then, once again, I get to try to squeeze the battery into it's tray (trying to squeeze past the header pipe), after charging it.

This is stupid. I went through this nonsense last year with the original battery my FTR1200 had, and I thought it wasn't going to happen again. I cannot hook up a battery tender, due to no outlets being available. I'm sick of this Sword/Battery of Damocles hanging over my head. I went through this experience to a lesser extent (excessive battery discharge) with my old Triumph Thruxton 900. I solved that problem by going to a lithium ion battery (lithium ion batteries usually have a charge control circuit, to prevent them from excessively discharging), and I'm thinking of doing the same with my FTR. Has anybody used a lithium battery in their FTR, and if so, what was the battery they used?

If a lithium ion battery isn't a workable option for the FTR-1200, then I'm think of calling it quits with the bike. I don't feel like constantly having to worry about whether or not the battery has gone flat.

edgelett

oh man that really sucks. I don't get how your battery can go flat after only a few days!
I'm still on my original battery from 2019 and I can leave the bike for up to 2 weeks without an issue - you seem to be in some kind of awful battery horror film.

I know that there are a few options for batteries but I can't remember them - hopefully Mike or Max chime in shortly and can help you out.
i understand the frustration though :(

Murdock

A good idea would be to install a switch to cut the ground connection when your bike sits for longer time in the garage.

Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Batte...wer+cut+off+motorcycle&qid=1621312889&sr=8-12

Last edited:

K9F

No oil spots on the garage floor, no outlets in the garage, critical neighbors, communal parking, move location. May even have a positive effect on your health and well-being with regards to your cluster headaches? The issue here is most likely lack of regular use. Lithium 'may' help but so would perhaps a calcium enriched battery that is much more resilient to deep discharge cycles and less expensive? Drastic decision to contemplate ditching the bike for the fundamental reason of battery issues especially as you've experienced the same before, that in itself must tell you something?

EllenGtrGrl

Moving would be expensive at the present time. It also would do nothing for my cluster headaches (they are caused by a brain defect). I get around the chain lubing oil issue, by using chain wax spray, instead of chain lube. When the weather is nice, my FTR is my main set of wheels (unless I have to do some hauling that just isn't practical on a motorcycle). It becomes my means of commuting to and from work (a 50 mile [80 km] round trip - people at work have been asking me for the past couple of weeks or so, when I'm going to start riding my motorcycle to work [I ride it that regularly for my work commute]), and more than keeps the battery charged. The parking garage is heated. Last winter, I didn't want to pull the battery out, and store it in my apartment, so I did like I've done for years without issues for my motorcycles, I disconnected the battery ground wire, wrapped it in a plastic bag to prevent it from accidentally touching the battery's ground terminal (when I close things up), put the cover back over the battery (leaving it in the motorcycle), draped a sheet over the FTR1200 to keep dust off of it, and called it a season. I will admit that with the battery issues I had last year, despite the battery being effectively disconnected, I was a little nervous, but it did start, and I had a nice 30 mile (48 km) long, first ride for the season. It also started fine, when I made my rain soaked journey to the dealer this past Saturday, and when I rode home from the dealer.

I was very unpleasantly surprised, when my FTR1200 would not start yesterday, considering that it started fine the previous 3 times. I had a similar issue with my old Triumph Thruxton (which I also used for commuting to work) several years ago, where it started fine, until the one day it wouldn't even crank over. That was when I bought a LiPo battery for it, and the issue went away. The only thing I can figure, is that despite being disconnected, and kept in a heated garage, the battery in my FTR1200 underwent slow discharge over the winter, and as a result, hasn't held up well. LiPo and other battery types have slower discharge times, when they are stored. Hence the thought that maybe I should switch to another battery type.

F.Y.I. - when the dealer agreed that the original battery in my FTR1200 was no good, and gave me a replacement battery, the replacement battery, was another OEM FTR1200 battery. From reading other threads on FTR1200 battery topics, it sounds like the OEM battery for the FTR1200, isn't very highly regarded.

Last edited:

Max Kool

They are hit or miss. Some bikes can stand for weeks without any problem, other are plainly bad.

EllenGtrGrl

They are hit or miss. Some bikes can stand for weeks without any problem, other are plainly bad.
To clarify things, what's hit and miss? The OEM batteries, or the electronics on the FTR1200.

I really do want to solve this problem.

Ellen

EllenGtrGrl

I went to RevZilla's website, and found them. It's good to see Lithium Ion batteries available for the the FTR1200. What amperage should I get? Also would the small case versions be better to go with, since it's such a bear to get the battery into the holder?

Ellen

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
get the hd part number that’s listed in the video. Get the same or better CCA than the oem battery.

Max Kool

To clarify things, what's hit and miss? The OEM batteries, or the electronics on the FTR1200.

I really do want to solve this problem.

Ellen
The batteries. Some guy did a test on the FTR a few weeks ago, and drawn current with the ignition off was less than 2mA.

(fitting aftermarket blinkers may drain the battery btw, even with the ignition off)

EllenGtrGrl

I have to head out the door for work, but I took a look on Revzilla's website, and they stock specifically for the 2019 FTR1200, several Antigravity lithium ion batteries. I've decided that overkill rules, so, I'm interested in the ATX-20 ReStart 680CA, it's good for 680 cold cranking amps. I compared the battery dimensions of the stock Yuasa, to the ATX 20:

Yuasa 6 inches long, 3.437 inches deep, 5.750 inches high

Antigravity ATX20 6.890 inches long, 3.50 inches deep, 5.120 inches high

Being a lower battery height-wise, the ATX20 should not have the interference with the header pipe issues I have whenever I've removed, or installed the stock Yuasa battery (which have resulted in me having to wrestle with the battery), but I will admit, that I am concerned about the length (width in the battery tray), and depth (in the battery tray) of the ATX20. It is significantly larger with regards to the stock battery (.890 inches longer for the length, and .063 inches for the depth). The depth concern may be minor, but the width - I'm not sure if the battery tray is wide enough to hold the ATX. Does anybody remember what the dimensions are for the battery tray? I was under the impression, that there wasn't much wiggle room in the battery tray for a battery.

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

Get the atx12-hd like in the video. We worked with Bart from anti gravity to get the correct battery for the ftr and to make the video.
Forgive me if I'm being dense, but do you mean the AT12BDS-HD-RS?

ttps://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-AT12BS-HD-RS-Lithium-Re-Start-Technology/dp/B07B9HFH56/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37QRT6X3HXRGN&dchild=1&keywords=atx12-hd&qid=1621433970&sprefix=atx12-hd%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-2

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No. The atx-12-hd

When it comes to batteries, and using the “fits your bike” on websites like revzilla, their filters usually just look at the rough dimensions and specs of the oem battery, and they aren’t always correct.

EllenGtrGrl

No. The atx-12-hd

When it comes to batteries, and using the “fits your bike” on websites like revzilla, their filters usually just look at the rough dimensions and specs of the oem battery, and they aren’t always correct.
Thanks! :D I used to the link, you gave, and the battery has been ordered.

Pmcb41

I know nothing about batteries, just my experience. I went through 5 batteries in 3 years on my Indian classic. Two of those batteries were bad when I received them. In fact the second time I ordered a battery they sent two and one was bad. I have had problems with my FTR 1200S after one winter. I had Roadmaster for 2 years and at our shop had three Chieftains that never had a single battery problem. It would seem to me there is either very poor quality controls in manufacturing or they are being stored improperly (or too long) in their distribution chain. Either way a quality lightweight battery sounds like the way to go. I will definitely look into that if I need to change again.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Thanks! :D I used to the link, you gave, and the battery has been ordered.
I never had an issue with my stock battery for almost two years. I just wanted something lighter. But it cranks so much better now.

my old battery is even in my buddies 2019 now after his stock battery was bad lll