Beautiful build...

Max Kool

Nicely done. However “A minimalist build that improves the original design with subtle but impactful changes.”

Just no. They did not “improve” the original design, they merely changed it and the seat and tail just look wonky imho. Same with the exhaust headers. Sorry fellas, appreciate the work, but the result looks megh.

FTR London

Nicely done. However “A minimalist build that improves the original design with subtle but impactful changes.”

Just no. They did not “improve” the original design, they merely changed it and the seat and tail just look wonky imho. Same with the exhaust headers. Sorry fellas, appreciate the work, but the result looks megh.
Actually they did - if only in terms of range.

Disagree entirely. But then as you know, I detest the abomination that lumbered out of Spirit Lake which is stock, still one of the ugliest and most disappointing motorcycles I've ever seen following the pre-launch hype. It massively improves the original design - I particularly like the shed style build as opposed to the cookie cutter concessions of the original - however necessary you argue that they were in the marketplace. And such spartan minimalism on what purports to be a flat track racer is a good thing, despite the café vibes from this particular build. I don't understand luggage racks, backrests, screens, saddle bags, cell phone mounts or Apple f*****g Carplay on this particular motorcycle or the need to 'accessorise' a street tracker. As others have pointed out, to each their own.

As I've said before -

Expectations...

production-17169-LhAa9gEDbMJQ-FTR1200hero.jpg

Vs reality...

FTR-1200-S.jpg

FTR London

Oops, my bad.

anyway, I love the clean lines, but the seat just looks odd imho
I don't mind it- but if the hump was slightly higher behind it, it might not only enhance the looks and curvature, but also compliment the café feel further.

American

I’m going to have to say it certainly isn’t my style. The rear seat and mount really hurts the looks imo.

Good to see what other people create even if I don’t like it.

mtberbob

I'd take the entire bike over what comes out of the factory and off the showroom floor.
I do like the more low key look to it, the speedo in the tank with that popup cap is pretty slick. the bike looks better thinned out and lightened than it does adding all kinds of touring shit to it.

mark.lb

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Motorcycles are no exception. I personally think a stock FTR is one of the best looking bikes ever designed. (At least to my eye.) When it comes to modifications, I generally place them in two categories: Looks and function.

Some customize their bike so they “look” different than the same stock motorcycle that others own. I put custom paint, blacked out or chromed parts, turn signal/mirror changes etc. into this category.

Some customize their bikes so they “function” differently than a stock machine. I put engine/exhaust, suspension, wheel/tire/brake, weight reduction and frame geometry changes etc. into this category. These “function” mods often also change the “look” of the bike - sometimes (to my eye) in a negative way. The 20.2 FTR is a classic example. They spent thousands of dollars and countless hours to create the heavily modified 20.2. I’m impressed - but not sure I like completely like the finished product!

FTR London

I personally think a stock FTR is one of the best looking bikes ever designed. (At least to my eye.)
Really?

FTR1200 (2).jpg

I have to say, post pre-launch hype, when this was rolled out, I was also slack jawed - but clearly for diametrically the opposite reason.

Murdock

It's the second time you say this. I am wondering why you buy ... in your words ... the ugliest and most disappointing motorcycle?
Of course it is a question of personal taste, but most people buy bikes they like .... :unsure:.

Parts of the built are really nice but I also do not like the seat and Tail section. It is a good example to understand why the original tank is as small as it is: It is form before function.

Last edited: