Changing tires myself??

RiverRat

I’ve always changed my dirtbike tires myself. But with the ftr I’m nervous....don’t wanna scratch rims or anything. Is it as easy changing on big bike as it is on dirtbike?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
same principle. i use motion pro bead breaker spoons and motion pro wheel guards.

I have a static balance machine, but ive found most tires dont need weight, just line the dot up with the valve stem

Max Kool

Oh, and you may need an assistant. A well soaped up, half mounted tire may want to slip back off the rim. I always ask my wife "can you hold tire spoon this for a sec, please?" because I only have two arms...

Max Kool

I recently bought a bucket of tire soap, and I bet it will last for life. Before that I always used Windex.

edgelett

Oh, and you may need an assistant. A well soaped up, half mounted tire may want to slip back off the rim. I always ask my wife "can you hold tire spoon this for a sec, please?" because I only have two arms...
I'm sorry mate my mind started to go elsewhere when reading that..
'you may need an assistant. a well soaped up assistant' lol!

cupcake_mike

same principle. i use motion pro bead breaker spoons and motion pro wheel guards.

I have a static balance machine, but ive found most tires dont need weight, just line the dot up with the valve stem

On some tires the dot is the heaviest part of the tire, not the lightest, so you want to line it up opposite the valve stem.

cupcake_mike

Which brand(s) have the dot at the heaviest point?

I can't remember all of them, but it seems like it isn't even brand specific, it's model specific. I've had pirelli scorpion trails that were that way and corsas that weren't. Same with Dunlops...michelins too maybe?

I just have a diy balancing stand and sometimes i get the new tires mounted up and find that the weight is 180 out, so i break the bead and spin it around and then it's good.

Hell, some tires don't even have a dot, that makes it fun, not impossible.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Some tires have two dots. One for the heavy and one for the light side. But I have never seen a tire with just a dot for the heavy side on a Mc tire. And I’ve installed several different brands.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Maybe it was a manufacture mistake, as that scenario goes against the standard practices of tire manufactures.

Even on automotive tires the dot is always the light side.

cupcake_mike

Just for shits and giggles i looked at the 7 bikes in my shop, i own them all and have installed all these tires in the last year or so (except the dt-3 which is original to my ftr)

Dt-3 no dot on f, dot on light on r
Road attack, no dot f or r
Road smart 4, dot heavy f, no dot r
Angel gt, dot light on f, dot heavy on r
Angel gt, no dot f, no dot r
Battlax dot heavy f, dot heavy r
Tkc 80 no dot f, dot heavy r

Like i said, i don't take their word for it, but if there is a dot, 95% of the time it balances out at the valve stem or 180 out from the valve stem.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
weird

in mine
angle gt, dot at light both tires - 3 sets were like this
t31, dot at light both tires - 2 sets were like this
s21s, dot at light both tires - 3 sets were like this
Dt-3 dot at light both tires - these were a one and done