Cold blooded

DANNO

I love my FTR, but it has get get to 175 F before the thing runs right. I've talked to my dealer and Indian is aware of the issue. This is unacceptable, you would not buy a new car and have to warm it up for 10 mins before you can drive it. My Ducati Multistrada dosn't have to warm nor my BMW RT1200. Anyone else having this issue? Even when warmed up, it hunt's for an even RPM.

That is about when mine starts to clean up. I just expected it based on my 2010 Ducati and the emission regulations making them so lean. The Duc was so lean I finally broke down had Dynojet install a PC V and create a good map.

I live in the Southern California desert and it's 80°F in the morning right now so it doesn't take very long. This winter it might bother me more:)

The Dynojet mapping tool for the FTR is getting rave reviews on this forum. I have it on my wish list.

Max Kool

Yep, I got my PV-3 from Ryan Randall (previously from The Runway Performance/Vic shop). Can't praise his work enough.

His tunes completely "cure" the FTR. The cold stalling, the weird on/off throttle reaction, the surging at a steady throttle. Smooth as peanut butter now.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Tune it. Or wait for a factory remap

Were your other bikes first model production run bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rhledge

Yes, I’ve noticed it too. As this is my first V-twin, I just thought that was what they did. My FJR doesn’t do that. Sounds like the Runway Performance tune is next.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Also. It does improve with the more miles you put on your bike and the ecu learns.

Mine stopped cold stalling around 500 miles

Blue1

Also. It does improve with the more miles you put on your bike and the ecu learns.

Mine stopped cold stalling around 500 miles

Do you know for a fact that the ecu learns?

My theory is that the bike really loosens up with with miles. I base that on the fact that I'm getting much better fuel mileage now at 1500+ miles, almost ten percent.

That was before the remap. Mileage is about the same, but bike runs much smoother, less sensitive to minor throttle variations.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No I don’t know that as a fact.

But if your engine is tight to where it needs to “loosen up” to prevent cold stalls. I’d say there is a bigger issue than tuning.

So the ecu learning theory makes the most sense.

And almost all new engines get slightly better mpg after initial break in.

DANNO

Thanks for the input, I'll wait a little longer for a factory tune but may try the PV-3 if they can't get it worked out. Also I want to get rid of the cat box in the future, may need to re-map for that.

JDP

Where is this Ryan Randall and how can we get in touch with him ? What state is he in and does he need the bike ?
Please help us with this.

Max Kool

He doesn't need your bike, he is in North Carolina, and can be reached at [email protected] or reach out to him on FB.

And bring him my regards, apart from a magician with FTR's he's a cool dude.

JDP

Thanks man I’m going to definitely check him out, thanks and I’ll tell him hi from you, thanks again

JDP

I took my bike in for the recall and the service guy said they reflashed with the new one they just got from Indian and I don’t have cold start issues anymore and the throttle thing is rock steady oh yeah doesn’t ping either, I’m still going with Ryan down load but I can wait awhile now

cheekykevUK

I've been having the same problem, I'm a big Vtwin lover, I have 2 FireStorms and a Colin Edwards SP2 Laguna Seca, none of them have a problem like this, Indian need to nip this in the Bud before people loose confidence and stop buying them.
In fact I've been quite disappointed, mine's even been cutting out/stalling while gearing down for bends and roundabouts, and you all know how it feels coasting round a bend with the clutch in (scary moment) I also seem to have a leaking radiator.
The bike is going in for it's 500 mile service shortly, so hopefully all will be sorted.

Max Kool

Pretty sure you'll get the newly released stock tune, which has a higher cold idle rpm.

The cutting out/stalling however.... report it to the dealer!