Cold Start Issue

Fourus4

Hey guys!

So I have had my bike for about 4 weeks or so, got it when it only had 80 miles on it. It now has just over 300 miles.

The issue is when I go to start it up, it has a gnarly stumbling idle, sometimes it just dies with 10 seconds of starting, I have gotten a check engine light, which goes away once I turn the bike off completely then restart it.

I'm attaching a link to a YouTube video that shows another FTR having the same issue, so you can hear what it sounds like.

Took it to the dealer in Fort Worth, asked them to check it out, they came back and said "Looks like it had thrown come codes, so we flashed it and you should be good now".

Cut to today, go out to the shop, start up the bike and it does the start and die again, with a bit of the clunk sound as well:/. BUT, no check engine.

What gives? Should I just take it back there? And if so, what should I expect them to do to take care of it. It is under manufacturer and extended warranty. But they charged me $200 and I am bummed it didn't help.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

P.s using 93 gas

K9F

Why did you get charged $200. Sounds like they 'mugged you off' for what should have been a warranty call? This is despite them knowing they could do nothing about it. Extended Warranty means what? As you stated it is still under the original two year deal. The cold start issue they all do it in some capacity, some worse than others. Only way to get rid is to buy a PV3 and get it tuned by one of the two reputable and proven tuners. Do a search under 'cold start.' There's a dozen or so threads there that will give details as a beginning. Only another $119 on top of the $200 already wasted and you could have gone for the PV3 anyway.

Last edited:

K9F

Here we go......Been waiting for this.....(In forum joke)…..

You could also consider a 'hero worshiping tune' and service from Fuel Moto USA. I have no experience whatsoever apart from talking to them and ordering a PV3 three days ago but they do seem brilliant!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

edgelett

yep typical FTR issue. my dealer even told me before the test ride 'oh by the way they have a cold start issue and will stall'.
only way to fix it is with an aftermarket tune.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
they should have charged you NOTHING, you have a 100% coverage warranty for two years. I would call Indian and complain. There is a new software flash from Indian that raises the cold idle up to help this.

But really the only way to 100% get rid of it is to tune the bike.

Ryan from Lloydz at Indian of Charlotte or Fuel moto are the two FTR tuning gurus.

Fourus4

Thank you guys so much for all of the input. I'm considering going with a Toce low mount kit and the tune from Ryan.

To be clear I did have them check my rear brake for proper adjustment and my shifter because it would downshift from 2nd to N all the time unless you REALLY kicked it down. The tech came back and said "I adjusted your clutch so it's in spec now and that should take care of shifting into neutral." It didn't make sense to me, but I paid the $200 and its still having the issue :(

One more question. I clarified with multiple dealers that if I upgraded my exhaust and put a fresh tune on it they would not void my warranty. I am in the auto service industry as well and we NEVER report any mods or upgrades to manufacturers as its free labor for our company and we would just piss off the customer if we snitched on them. But has anyone had their warranties voided but doing any upgrades or had a bait and switch situation where the dealer tells you the same thing they told me and then BAM! voids your warranty?

Thanks again guys!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Just know the low mount is LOUD without the dB killer. But the power is amazing. I’ve had about 5 different exhausts with varying tunes. And this one is the best.

and you can add this for a shorter shifter throw.
Direct bolt on

Max Kool

It’s up to the dealer to prove the modifications you made actually caused the problem. A tune can’t cause a leaky water pump or a bad shifting gear box (just as an example).

K9F

Not on an FTR but Indian still. Yes there are instances where bikes have been flagged and warranty voided. See post 11 in thread below. There are quite a few examples if you do a little investigative digging.

Max Kool

They can try, doesn't mean it's legal to void warranty in all cases.

(also depends on your local laws btw)

Fourus4

Charged you 200 dollar for what? To fix/look at your bike stalling on a cold engine? Fk them. Don't tell me you paid....
I added more to the story a couple posts down, they also took a look at my rear brake and shifter/performed a clutch adjustment. But the rear brake is still doing the same thing/super soft and feels like the ABS is tripping all the time, and the shift is doing the same thing as well. (Shifting from 2nd down to N)

K9F

No updated flash for me but a FedEx parcel arriving from t’other side of the pond to me that will make all my FTRs little foibles (which were liveable with) fade into complete oblivion hopefully?

XX1100y

Three weeks ago I bought an S year 19.
Like most owners, in the first days it received curious original failures in the form of jerks and cold stops.
Living in Spain, there is no very specialized Indian technical service. Therefore, I decided to get in touch and buy a Dynojet PV3 kit from Fuel Moto with its corresponding update melody for my motorcycle.
In 4 days the package traveled from Fuel Moto's address in the US to my home. A round of applause for Fedex for its speed.
Once the package is opened, I connect the device to the Moto connector. And I read the source data. 15 minutes or so. This generates some files inside the PV3. These files are sent to the Fuel Moto email Thinking that it would take a few hours to receive the melody according to the data of my FTRs. I went to dinner. And what a surprise. On my phone I receive an email from Lucas. Lucas is the one who has had the delicacy to send me the modified melody based on the extras of the intake and exhaust system that I have installed.
Well, nervous about the speed. I copied the file to the PV3 device and even though it was time to go to sleep, I went down to the garage to install the melody.
My wife says I'm crazy. That the next day she had time to do those things. But the restlessness gets the best of me and I continue doing my thing. Hee hee hee.
Install the melody and wait a few minutes as indicated on the PV3 screen. And I couldn't contain myself. I got dressed, grabbed my helmet and gloves. And I went for a walk. Big surprise that it started while I was putting on the helmet and gloves. Well, in the previous days After 10-15 seconds of doing the same, the motorcycle stopped by itself. You had to do this process two or three times before going out onto the street. Even at the first street crossings. When you slowed down and pressed the clutch. Some once it stopped. Well, nothing on this occasion seems to have noticed the difference. It didn't turn off at any time. And after several days of using the bike. It hasn't stopped again. The power delivery is very uniform and more easy to drive without sudden reactions when accelerating.
For all this, I want to thank everyone who has informed and warned of the solution to our problem that not even the factory itself cared to remedy.