coolant flush

Blue1

Can FTR coolant be flushed/ refilled and bled without using a vacuum filler?

Never used one before...manual is not clear from where you suck up the coolant; is it into the radiator end of the lower radiator hose after pinching off the reservoir hose?

Max Kool

I did it without any vacuum when I changed the T-junction. Didn’t have any problems. I just filled through the cap. Maybe I got lucky.

The question is, why are you flushing the coolant in the first place?

Blue1

I'm flushing it because it is due for replacement, in my estimation.,

I flush coolant and hydraulic fluid every two years. Not having to buy a vacuum filler works for me, thanks.

Max Kool

Coolant can easily last 5-7 years (or even longer). It does not wear like oil or brake fluid does and replacing it every 2 years is a waste of time/money/coolant..

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
When you ya e your t junction recall done. They will replace your coolant. But no you don’t need the bleeder

Charliemurphay

I have a vacuum bleeder. You would attach it to the neck of the radiator and pull a vacuum on the system from there with the other end in your coolant bottle, and the reservoir pinched off. Once done filling with the vacuum bleeder, put the cap on, unpinch the reservoir and top off. Its pretty simple.

Blue1

I have a Mityvac brake bleeder, does that have enough vacuum to pull coolant through that large diameter lower brake hose?

Or does the coolant get pulled though some other way? The Indian service manual is not real clear on that.

Charliemurphay

No, you’d need something like this;

edit: I should note that for this tool you would need an air compressor as well to be used to draw the vacuum.

Last edited: