Custom Skid Plate Design FTR Rally

TommyD66

I just purchased a 2023 Rally and am a little concerned about how exposed the battery and oil cooler is. I have been searching for a manufactured skid plate but it seems like no one makes one. Has anyone custom built one? Do you have shop drawings to share? Photos are helpful too.

cupcake_mike

The oil cooler already has a cover and some mesh aftermarket examples are available if you think it's not enough. The plastic cover that goes over the battery is pretty damn strong, but I guess you could replace it with a CF cover from thomas kopp if you really feel you need something stronger.

Are you meaning a "bash plate" to protect the battery and the oil cooler? Where would you attach it? Typically, a plate of that sort would be attached to the frame to spread out the impact. Being a trelis framed/stressed engine bike, the only real place to mount it would be to the engine, unless you made it absolutely huge and wrapped it up the frame. If the skid plate is mounted to the engine, any impacts would be directed to the engine, which it wasn't designed for other than the points in which the battery and oil cooler are already mounted to anyway, so I guess I just don't understand what you'd gain? More weight on a bike that could already stand to lose about 75 lbs?

FTRUK

There are skid plates of sorts available,but like cupcake says it’s bolted to the engine by only 2 bolts.
look on EBay etc.

TommyD66

The oil cooler already has a cover and some mesh aftermarket examples are available if you think it's not enough. The plastic cover that goes over the battery is pretty damn strong, but I guess you could replace it with a CF cover from thomas kopp if you really feel you need something stronger.

Are you meaning a "bash plate" to protect the battery and the oil cooler? Where would you attach it? Typically, a plate of that sort would be attached to the frame to spread out the impact. Being a trelis framed/stressed engine bike, the only real place to mount it would be to the engine, unless you made it absolutely huge and wrapped it up the frame. If the skid plate is mounted to the engine, any impacts would be directed to the engine, which it wasn't designed for other than the points in which the battery and oil cooler are already mounted to anyway, so I guess I just don't understand what you'd gain? More weight on a bike that could already stand to lose about 75 lbs?
Thanks for the response. I hear what you're saying. Typically it doesn't need it. I will be riding a lot of back country roads where I can't afford a breakdown because a rock takes something out. I would have a bit more peace of mind if there was a even a light duty plate there.

MMC

I just purchased a 2023 Rally and am a little concerned about how exposed the battery and oil cooler is. I have been searching for a manufactured skid plate but it seems like no one makes one. Has anyone custom built one? Do you have shop drawings to share? Photos are helpful too.
There is a gentleman out of Germany named Thomas Kopp on the FTR FB group that makes metal and carbon fiber guards for the FTR

MMC

You’re the man!
274150233_7103428976366426_2287926761147476203_n.jpg

Hi at all, thanks for sharing my pics. Yes, my skidplates protect the oilcooler tube and oilfilter. At moment i have only the carbon/kevelar in stock, 240.-€ plus shipping.

Attachments

• 20211105_120609.jpg
    20211105_120609.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230606_184220.jpg
    20230606_184220.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Thanks for the response. I hear what you're saying. Typically it doesn't need it. I will be riding a lot of back country roads where I can't afford a breakdown because a rock takes something out. I would have a bit more peace of mind if there was a even a light duty plate there.
Hi, my skidplate is made in carbon/kevelar, very strong and light!