Divorce averted... (a love story)

Max Kool

As some of you may know, my other bike is a Vitpilen 701.

So, lately the love for my little Vit was slowly dying. It had developed into a love/hate relationship. I love the way it looks, but I was slowly starting to dislike the way it steers. Too sensitive on the front wheel/bars, too much feedback from the front. Hit a rut mid corner and the bike would start to run wide, falling into turns too quick. Just not as neutral as I want. Basically, I just liked riding my FTR so much better, that riding my Vit became a chore. I started ogling other bikes, especially the Ducati Supersport 950 S... Man I love that bike. I'm sure I have seen every test and review on youtube. I was planning already. Looking around where I could find one in the desired color (white). I was ready for a new bike. So I thought. Detail the Vit one last time, so the new owner would have a proper nice bike. And start posting ads.

Meanwhile, my Vit's front tire was starting to show signs of wear. Not super serious, but the sides were starting to wear off, shaping the tire in a "V". I thought to myself, I rather would have had another 1000 miles or so from this front, but sod it, gonna order a new one. Even if it's only been 2000 miles (yikes, on sport/touring tires!). In the event I would sell it, it has to have fresh tires anyway. So here we are, the fifth front tire in 8500 miles (fourth rear btw, which is still ok). Spooned it on Saturday, a new personal record: tire pulled off the UPS truck at 16:15, tire mounted, balanced and tools back where they belong at 16:45.

Went out for a canyon ride Sunday, started by gently scrubbing them in, and gradually building up lean. And frankly, I renewed my vows for the Vit! Such neutral, but sharp handling. So pure, light and nimble (my buddy called it a canyon razor). 100% usable power, and seriously, I can't think what a Supersport 950 S would do better for me. It may have more grunt, but also weighs quite a bit more. Like for like it's possibly on par with the Vitpilen.

Anyway, back in love and here to stay!

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

edgelett

I'm at that stage with the Hornet at the moment but I know it's cause the front tyre is absolute toast. Just saving up for my new front rotors so I can pop a 17 inch wheel on it and I'll be in love again lol

edgelett

yeah can't wait!
I think I told you once there's a guy on his L's that rides a Vit 401 that parks near me in the city. every time i see his bike I think of you (and not in a creepy way lmao)

Max Kool

She is, fronts more that rears (2k miles front, 3k rear). Especially since I stopped commuting. Same on the FTR: 3k front, 2k rear. The joys of having fun canyon miles only.

and yes, the centers are still perfectly fine and good for 1000’s of miles, sides all chewed up.

And that’s on sport touring tires, not supersport tires…

Last edited:

Notaharley

She is, fronts more that rears (2k miles front, 3k rear). Especially since I stopped commuting. Same on the FTR: 3k front, 2k rear. The joys of having fun canyon miles only.

and yes, the centers are still perfectly fine and good for 1000’s of miles, sides all chewed up.

And that’s on sport touring tires, not supersport tires…
Lol. That's my problem here. I live just off the Snake --- an amazing 15 miles of nearly 400 corners and the center of my front tire rarely gets used.

LOVE the Vitpilen....and you had me worried for a minute that it wasn't all I thought it was!

It's on my list. Trying to find one for a test ride. Nothing near me.

Amazing what tires can do!!