DIY versus hire a pro

Knox

Do you do any of your bike's maintenance or repairs yourself or do you usually hire a pro? I'm not sure why, but there aren't many mechanics in my area who work on motorcycles. So out of necessity, I learned how to do most of my own basic work like changing the oil, drive chain, brakes, and other easy maintenance tasks. I've needed to repair a leaky fuel tank and install new piston rings on a buddy's ride both of which I thought would be harder to do, but they turned out to be easy fixes. I'm not as handy with a car. Motorcycles are just easier to get at.

K9F

I will thoroughly research a project before embarking on it myself. If I deem it is within my comfort zone and I have the tooling having been an electrical engineer for the best part of 40 years I work within the mantra "What could possibly go wrong?" Takes a brave man to wield an angle grinder to an 18 month old motorcycle to fit a Thunderbike fender. I also fitted a Shotgun Shock all done on my driveway as my garage is tiny. Yes I'll do it myself as I will do a better and more meticulous job, after all it's my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 13

Bad'Tude

I've always worked on my own mechanical projects, both cars and bikes, because that's what my dad always did. I spent many, many hours as a kid opting to work in the garage with him rather than hang out with friends. He wasn't a professional mechanic, but he had a passion for it and he passed that trait on to me. These days, something I own only goes into the shop if it's a major issue on my main commuter vehicle. Otherwise, I handle it on the weekends.

Merrick

I can change my tires, oil, and filters, but anything beyond that is probably above my skill level. It's the same with cars, more often than not I'm heading to a shop.