Essential Tuning Questions - Where to go from here?

Hey Folks,

North TX here; I'm sure you may have seen me asking noob-ass questions trying to get to learn thsi bike inside and out. I've been riding for 15 years and I tuned 29 last month. Well I picked up my 2019 FTR 1200 Base last weekend; just turned over 420-ish miles; and my plan next before March 3rd us leaving for Daytona Bike Week & 2,230 mile trip there and back; if I were to order the TOCE cat delete link pipe, keep the stock muffler/header, would that be possible?

Provided that before I install anything exhaust wise; I get the PV-3 ordered and in-hand?

Some of you might say; "But Jacob, you dumbass paint licker; which part you speaking of?" To which I reply, "This'n: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897...dzzFXjDfe95JC58-ngx6yo1CGUWv3BEDNFTAwaXugkUow cuz it works with the FACTORY Mufflers and headers as well as other aftermarket slip-on once I do finally decide to save up enough to get a nice SC Project or S&S.

But ya'll have it officially 432 miles; and cold starts in the morning suckssss; it's barely 50 degrees out and it sucis. Can't imagine trying to start it without a garage in 32 F weather. But i've got a system down for keeping it running.

PS.PS - Is it worth it to keep the entire exhaust system stock while I do the road trip to avoid potential issues and JUST do a "Stock Tune +" I keep hearing about. Keep in mind; I'm fine with JUST buying a PV-3 and keeping the exhaust stock for jsut the 2200 trip as long as the PV-3 makes an actual difference on the stock exhaust. Otherwise I'd HAVE to get the tuner AND one piece of the exhaust puzzle to wake it up hopefully.

Attachments

• FORUM_EXAMPLE.jpg
    FORUM_EXAMPLE.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You need to tune it if you remove the cat. Especially if you’re already having running issues.

Toce and fuel moto offer cat delete pipes and tuner bundles at a discount. Get both at the same time (the tunes from toce are actually ryan tunes from Lloydz garage)

Last edited:
You need to tune it if you remove the cat. Especially if you’re already having running issues.

Toce and fuel moto offer cat delete pipes and tuner bundles at a discount. Get both at the same time (the tunes from toce are actually ryan tunes from Lloydz garage)
That's all I keep hearing! Okay done deal. Yeah with everything stock I'm especially having issues with the bike under 120 F, on cold days like today when it was 42 out and I just needed to run like 10 miles down the road? It felt like a whole ordeal making sure it was way warmer than any bike should need to be before taking off because I didn't want it dying at this light right outside my apartment complex; it's on the intersection of a heavily used section of psycho Soccer Mom's doing 20+ over in their Cayenne's lol.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You're supposed to let it warm up till around 140 before riding with how the open loop / closed loop fuel system is, otherwise it will be a bit jerky.

Owners manual even tells you to let it warm up before riding.

Charliemurphay

You're supposed to let it warm up till around 140 before riding with how the open loop / closed loop fuel system is, otherwise it will be a bit jerky.

Owners manual even tells you to let it warm up before riding.
Yea I always start mine right away and let it run while I’m putting on my jacket/helmet/gloves. Usually by the time I’m ready to ride off it’s above 140, if it’s not, I wait a minute or so more til it does and it’s fine once you leave above 140. The coldest I’ve ever seen it get while running it has been 153 (ambient of 30°) and usually engine temp sits at 170-180. So 140 is still not even really fully warmed up for this motor yet.

Wayne

I have a Ryan map in mine and while it is much better than stock but I still get the occasional issue. Yesterday it was around 70 the bike was fully warmed up and I had two flameouts, both times going in to a corner after downshifting. Not the time to happen. I may look at Lloyds's ECU bench tunes but it's getting expensive getting the bike exactly how I want it

Wayne

I'm not sure of the v5 or how to tell, I can tell the ECU is AH2 but that is about it.. The attached is all I get out of the pv3. I never received a recall but i assume the dealer or Indian had taken care of that already since the bike is only six months old.

Attachments

• 2021-02-08 10.47.12.jpg
    2021-02-08 10.47.12.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 2021-02-08 10.49.12.jpg
    2021-02-08 10.49.12.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah that was his beta tunes to try and work with ah2. And for reasons like the issues you’re having, is why he started the bench flash option

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Figured. Once you take the cat off. They are very quirky. I’d email him and see what your options are. he usually will work with you if you already bought a pv3

Wayne

I emailed them today but the service department is closed Monday. If they can get it to where it needs to be with a bench tune of the ECU I'm game for that even at another 350.00..

Well when I first start my bike on a cold morning like today; on ANY morning really... it immediately goes to 1200 RPM. That's telling me I don't have the AH2 right? I was looking at this deal on Fuel Moto, for $179.95 I can get the cat delete Link Pipe, then add the Power Vision 3 Tuner for $339; total is $518.95 w/ free shipping. Is there any reason not to do that; and to instead spend the $399 on the Lloyds one?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I know lots of people who have had both. Usually prefer lloydz. But it is more money.

also the Toce deleting pipe has a machined insert to help with back pressure and lessen the midrange torque dip you get when you remove the cat. I had the fm link pipe for a little and removed it.

but also more money.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I did yes, then went to a race fit. Got the same mid range tq dip, then went to the Toce full system and it’s now gone. Lots of trial and error on my part