F-16 windshield and Ram X-mount

So, I'm prepping for a decent ride this upcoming weekend to get out of the heat. (Stay tuned for that....4 days...25 mountain passes....2 14ers....and the highest continuous paved road in the US) My friend joining me will be on his BMW S1000XR.

I just happened across this old windscreen I put on my SV1000 about 10 years ago for just such a trip. It's the National Cycle F-16. Not my cup o' tea for everyday use. However, it's going to fit the bill for this trip. It takes the wind off of my torso. And (I think) because of the gap between the headlight and the screen, I get a nice little puff of air up on my chin. I removed the little OEM fly screen, bolted it to the sides of the headlight, and bent a little bracket from 1" aluminum bar stock.

Then I picked up the Ram X-mount for my phone so I can see the GPS to guide me through all these spots. These two things and a strapped on duffel should be enough to make this manageable.

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7044.jpg
    IMG_7044.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7027.jpg
    IMG_7027.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7026.jpg
    IMG_7026.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7024.jpg
    IMG_7024.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7023.jpg
    IMG_7023.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65

Ataman888

How do you like the grab bar? Does it match the bike? Is it more usable the the stock ones? Does the raised back help at all?

Murdock

The grab bar ist perfect if you want to tight some luggage. It is not too ugly and can also serve as another slider in case you drop the bike.
However, I like the clean rear more and so I use it only during touring when luggage is needed.

IMG_3517.jpegA1177596-B880-4361-B58E-0CB95137C1CA.jpeg

How do you like the grab bar? Does it match the bike? Is it more usable the the stock ones? Does the raised back help at all?
I'm partially with Murdock on this one. I like the clean/stock rear better visually. But this bar is much easier to use an elastic web with.

In addition, I also have one of my littles riding with me from time to time and she uses the bar to grab onto during mount/dismount. It gives me peace of mind to know that she also has something firm to hold onto if she loses her grip on Dad.

To follow up, after a long weekend and 1400 miles in the Rocky Mountains:

F-16 windshield - As awesome as it was ugly. I've already taken it off. But rest assured that it WILL be going back on any time I plan to tour.

Ram X Mount - TWO THUMBS DOWN. But not for why you might think. If used properly, I don't see how your phone could possibly fall out of it. But (!), by the end of the first day, my phone's camera no longer worked. Turns out that if you have a newer phone with optical zoom and image stabilization, mounting the phone on anything with vibration will cause it to give up the ghost. Even if Ram has a page specifically stating that this is the mount for your iPhone 11.

Charliemurphay

Yea basically any newer than iPhone 7’s camera is gonna get messed up due to vibration on any bike. Had this issue a few times before figuring out what the cause was.

mark.lb

My 2020 iPhone SE is still going strong. I ride every day with it in a Ram X and so far the camera is still working!

JDP

I’ve tried 3 different windshields and none of them seemed to work like I wanted so it’s a full helmet from now on, road from Annapolis md to Denver Colorado and back with no problems, only problem was the damn small gas tank but I like to stop a lot anyway