Female Loves the FTR!!

wallycycle

My wife doesn't do forums but asked me to pass along some thoughts to other ladies interested/considering this bike.

She's 5'2" and after a few modifications, can comfortably and safely ride the bike. The CG is low, bike is very well balanced especially at slow speed. Engine response is excellent and the motor is extremely tractable. Pulls smoothly from 2000 rpm. Easy turn in and holds a line like a train. Does not stand up on the brakes. For her overall a fantastic mount.

wallycycle

I posted on the "other" forum about the modifications:

For those that don't want to go there, here is what I wrote:

I demoed a 1200S for my wife as she is too short (5'2") to ride the bike out of the crate. Anyway, based on a favorable test ride at the second dealer, she bought the bike and I got to work lowering it for her. Based on 25 + years of doing this for her bikes, I had a good idea what it would take with this bike.

First thing was reducing the preload front/rear to minimum. Despite doing this, the rider sag is still at the minimum end (she weighs 115 lb). The spring rates are obviously for a bigger person. Pulled the forks up in the triple clamp 8mm. I took a look at that rear tire (150/70-18) and the side wall looked pretty tall. Ordered a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure tires taking a chance that the rear would have a slightly shorter side wall. As luck would have it, it is 8 mm shorter. Finally, she had the stock seat modified by primarily shaving down the sides right where it meets the tank so she has a straighter shot to the ground. Also took out most of the foam in the seating area and replaced it with a thinner, but denser foam.

The combination of the above allows her to have her left foot almost flat while stopped. She's a happy camper and loves the bike!!.

I forgot to add, that my wife also has an approximate 1/4"-1/2" taller sole on her boots. Not enough though to interfere with shifting/braking or look awkward.

Every little bit helps.

edgelett

awesome thanks mate. I think i can get it a little lower by following your suggestions with the suspension - appreciate it!