Fork Springs or Cartridges

Fattony

Hey guys I've seen alot of FTR builds out there but does anyone know who is making suspension for the FTR. Im kinda on the heavier side 300lbs with gear and wanted to get either springs or drop in cartridges. Ive seen some made in Italy... but dont know the brand or if Id ever get it with the current situation. Does anyone know of any company state side or if ohlins is making them where I can find it?

I just took the FTR for a ride and when I get on it hard the front is starting to compress and walk away when I get on throttle. Has anyone done any suspension on their bike yet?

Thanks,
Tony

Fuse5

The original is made from "Sachs" belongs to ZF out of germany.
Öhlins do the a rear one but not sure at the front.. Springs/cartridges are available at Hyperpro

There will be a couple more experiences in here soon..;)

Max Kool

Tony hi!

Mupo does front cartridges, and apparently they are highly praised in the supersport world.

That said, even a set of springs tailored to your weight can make huge difference, and doesn’t have to break the bank like a complete shock and cartridges will.

Fattony

Tony hi!

Mupo does front cartridges, and apparently they are highly praised in the supersport world.

That said, even a set of springs tailored to your weight can make huge difference, and doesn’t have to break the bank like a complete shock and cartridges will.

They were one I found but being out of Italy... Its going to be a while before I get anything if it has to ship from Italy. All my bike have ohlins suspension R6, GSXR1000, and even the grom lol. I know what a difference suspension makes. Once you know good suspension on a bike you cannot go back. Ive reached out to a few GP suspension, Bellissimoto, and ohlins. We'll see who has anything state side.

Thanks,

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Do you have a base? Or a rr/s

if you don’t have a base. You just need springs. If you have a base cartridges would be a good investment.

Also gp suspensions makes cartridges and 30% off right now.

Max Kool

Wondering how hard it is to install cartridges, and what special tools are needed (one of the many jobs I never did).

Fattony

Wondering how hard it is to install cartridges, and what special tools are needed (one of the many jobs I never did).

It will probably be similar to this video. Ive installed the ohlins kit on the grom. But for any of my other bikes R6 and GSXR1k bikes I had a professional do it. $300 is cheap for experienced install.

Max Kool

Great video, thanks!

(This is something I should have a shop do, not myself. I simply lack the tools)

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You have to factor currency conversion, and shipping costs.
As well as shipping from over seas. Which will be greatly delayed

Blue1

At max preload, the fork doesn't have enough rebound damping, even at max adjustment.

I just had the fork oil swapped from the OEM 5W to 10W. Just picked the bike up, upon cursory inspection, it appears that this has corrected the situation.

This weekend I'll check it out more closely and properly adjust the rebound, as well as the compression damping, as I had the oil changed in both fork legs.

My goal is a supple but well controlled fork...this may have done the trick, and provided satisfactory front suspension without spending $1K+ on revalve.