FTR AS ROAD RACER

Walrus

JUST returned from two-day private session at Roebling Road in Georgia, which got me thinking:
Would an FTR make a road racer as opposed to a flat tracker?
Some of the folks at RR were on modified Ducati Monsters and even a KTM. Duke. The relatively upright riding position is good for older folks, though FTR tends to be a bit porky by racetrack standards.
Would love to hear your thoughts - thinking of making one.
Thanks.

Walrus

Didn't know there was a Super Hooligan's series.
Do know the e-bike racer Stefano Mesa - called out a start of race - very well. Have raced with him. His is light years better than me and does stuff with a bike that's jaw dropping. Great guy, too. Forfeited a race at Daytona Speedway to stop and check me out/help after I face planted and EMS were sl-o--o-o-o-w to respond and I wasn't moving. He NEVER mentioned it to me. My race pals & pit crew did weeks later. He shrugged off my thanks. Class act.
Thanks Ferraiolo. Great race. Think my FTR has found new future.
Some of the guys I was with at Roebling thought I was talking about a bagger when I said FTR, LOL! But they're Ducatistas.
Do you know a source for racing parts/track upgrades?

Last edited:

edgelett

are you talking about a bike to take to track days, or a bike to race competitively with?
cause there is a difference.

Walrus

Understood, F-1. Built several race bikes. Probably have to upgrade suspension too.
@Max: I take my race bike to track days for practice. Seat time is everything. Was reviewing CCS ASRA rules. It meets several class standards. Being competitive is another issue. Toying with the idea. F-1's video shows it's very street trackable. Plenty of places to trim fat.

FTR London

MacBayne

If you are serious.... you are limiting yourself to nigh-on a single class/div....

Race an SV 650, or R3 in senior classes.... you would get better bang-for-buck.

The FTR outputs less than a 600 SS, so I know where you are coming from...

You want the same horsepower, but not have to race the young fellas...

Your money is not my money...

Max Kool

Well, Andy Dibrino regularly races his KTM890 against 600 Supersports (and wins). He also just got beat by a bunch of FTR’s on Laguna Seca, so technically, the FTR should stand a chance between 600’s…

But seriously, if you want to go racing an FTR, do it for fun, not to win.

MacBayne

Well, Andy Dibrino regularly races his KTM890 against 600 Supersports (and wins). He also just got beat by a bunch of FTR’s on Laguna Seca, so technically, the FTR should stand a chance between 600’s…

But seriously, if you want to go racing an FTR, do it for fun, not to win.
The 1203 cc severely limits classes to race in. That's all I was saying. Not to mention a max lean of 43 degrees... but I am sure that can be engineered by use... lol

My FTR "butt dyno" reads the torque in the stratosphere, but HP slightly less than a 600SS...

Aftermarket support for the FTR for road racing is also limited... and it's only gonna get worse, IMO, once the FTR gets shitcanned by Indian. (Shitcanning is my prediction, only. The FTR market is not the Indian market.)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Rearsets, multiple shock and cartridge options, inclusion ohlins cartridges, a few rear set options. And many upgraded brake options since you can use models made for a ducati. There is plenty of support for the ftr if you know where to look.

sure it’s not the best platform to race, but that’s the fun of it, make a bike that shouldn’t go fast, go fast on a track.

MacBayne

Rearsets, multiple shock and cartridge options, inclusion ohlins cartridges, a few rear set options. And many upgraded brake options since you can use models made for a ducati. There is plenty of support for the ftr if you know where to look.

sure it’s not the best platform to race, but that’s the fun of it, make a bike that shouldn’t go fast, go fast on a track.

I guess I am a bit spoiled since I ran GSXRs for a while. Those parts are cheap and plenty.

I now run Triumph 675, and it's hard AF to find parts for... and it is frustrating as hell. My 2022 season was ruined in 2021 when I broke my timing chain and due to lack of parts and info... that's another story...

Crashing is the big thing. Replacing what's broken. How are headers and cans to find? Case savers? How much are handle bars gonna cost, vs clipon? The oil cooler, and battery are also in a bad spot for an "Involuntary Dismounts." Any gravel trap visit is probably going to destroy the radiator. What damage will happen to the shock on a right-side slide? I know Ducati have many single-sided suspensions, but they are designed with racing in mind.

I completely agree with you about taking a non-traditional machine and cleaning house. It's awesome.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
All that stuff can be bought from
Indian. And there are some aftermarket places as well.

handlebars are your standard Dirtbike fat bar.

Walrus

If you are serious.... you are limiting yourself to nigh-on a single class/div....

Race an SV 650, or R3 in senior classes.... you would get better bang-for-buck.

The FTR outputs less than a 600 SS, so I know where you are coming from...

You want the same horsepower, but not have to race the young fellas...

Your money is not my money...
I already race a Ducati Monster Evo 1100 with a Paul Smart fairing. Also race in the Over 40.
My days of mixing it up with Immortals - or immortal wannabes - are long over.
At age 73, I don't bounce.

Walrus

I guess I am a bit spoiled since I ran GSXRs for a while. Those parts are cheap and plenty.

I now run Triumph 675, and it's hard AF to find parts for... and it is frustrating as hell. My 2022 season was ruined in 2021 when I broke my timing chain and due to lack of parts and info... that's another story...

Crashing is the big thing. Replacing what's broken. How are headers and cans to find? Case savers? How much are handle bars gonna cost, vs clipon? The oil cooler, and battery are also in a bad spot for an "Involuntary Dismounts." Any gravel trap visit is probably going to destroy the radiator. What damage will happen to the shock on a right-side slide? I know Ducati have many single-sided suspensions, but they are designed with racing in mind.

I completely agree with you about taking a non-traditional machine and cleaning house. It's awesome.
Have a Daytona Moto 2 for use as tracker. Also frustrated by the parts issue. Wouldn't run it as a racer since would have to be with the 750/1000cc bikes. Handles like a dream. Sweeter than an R6, which to me is saying something. Have a very fast pal who used to do the Daytona 675R. Went through several engines.
Agree the GSXR 600 is the perfect racer, at least for my size. Tracked CBR600RRs, R6, CBR 1000RR, but the GSXR 600 hit my sweet spot. Could almost flat-foot with race suspension, loved how it handled and the power curve. Have a GSXR 750 in garage, but haven't tracked a 600 since I crashed mine on the infield at Daytona. Figured it was a message to slow down. Since then various Ducatis. Ironically, was just looking for used GSXR 600 to turn into a racer this morning.
The Moto 2 is a better bike, though.

Breto

I already race a Ducati Monster Evo 1100 with a Paul Smart fairing. Also race in the Over 40.
My days of mixing it up with Immortals - or immortal wannabes - are long over.
At age 73, I don't bounce.
That’s awesome mate. I hope I’m still track daying at 70 odd. Yeah I’m happy running in the green group. Lots of fast boys out there and I kinda run my own race but I hear ya. It’s all for fun, not for sheep stations. 👍

MacBayne

Have a Daytona Moto 2 for use as tracker. Also frustrated by the parts issue. Wouldn't run it as a racer since would have to be with the 750/1000cc bikes. Handles like a dream. Sweeter than an R6, which to me is saying something. Have a very fast pal who used to do the Daytona 675R. Went through several engines.
Agree the GSXR 600 is the perfect racer, at least for my size. Tracked CBR600RRs, R6, CBR 1000RR, but the GSXR 600 hit my sweet spot. Could almost flat-foot with race suspension, loved how it handled and the power curve. Have a GSXR 750 in garage, but haven't tracked a 600 since I crashed mine on the infield at Daytona. Figured it was a message to slow down. Since then various Ducatis. Ironically, was just looking for used GSXR 600 to turn into a racer this morning.
The Moto 2 is a better bike, though.
I was gonna pull the trigger on the 765... then Indian stole my heart.

My issue is my Daytona is a 2014 and has all the factory race parts... it's an AMA pro-spec and won the Canadian Championship... so I am almost certain she has 135 hp on pump gas... lol...

I tracked my 09 street Gixxer 750 and my butt dyno puts the 675 above it.

Saving my pennies for next year...