FTR coolant junction

Face It

Does anybody have the procedure and/or know how long the replacement should take to complete?

I believe my dealer took the shortcut and used my frame for leverage to remove the junction from the side.

Grrr...

Twin Cities Indian in Rogers, MN

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s the procedure, to do it from the side. That’s how I did it.

Takes a couple hours.

Face It

If they didn’t scratch the frame, that shouldn’t matter. Right?
They did scratch the frame, to the metal.
That's why I asked about the procedure to see if it was something from the top but some choose to get at it from the side

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah, unfortunately the techs aren’t putting enough tape on the frame before starting. I slightly scratched mine when doing it.

Charliemurphay

My understanding is it may be “easier” to replace from the top but to do so you have to put the bike in the “service position” ie. rear subframe off, fuel tank off, air box off, throttle bodies off. If you’re in that deep to do valve clearance check or replace spark plugs it might be worth doing from the top then, but just to do the junction a bit of a pain. I just got the Sacco Silicone hose set and will likely just do it from the top over the winter when my bike goes down for the long winter nap next month.

Last edited:

edgelett

yeah my dealer didn't do it the recommended way - they told me they'd seen reports of scratched frames from the US and didnt want people out for blood so they did it the long way i.e everything Charlie said above.
it cost them money to do it cause it takes longer but they said they prefer to not fuck up someone's bike.

Eeyore

Unfortunately, I know of several that were scratched doing this... I know at least a few techs that did not use tape at all and the frames look like ground beef...

Last edited:

mark.lb

Mine was done from the side with the frame taped. The work was completed with no scratches on the frame. I think a lot depends on the “skill” of the technician doing the work. Cameron at Pitt Cycles told me he got a lot better at it after he had 4-5 bikes under his belt.

Last edited:

Max Kool

Hahahha what a bunch of McGuyvers.... (you can hear the hose clamp accidentally jump out of the socket --PLOINNGGGG!!--)

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.50.54 PM.png

American

Just made my appointment for the recall. Screen shot the photos ect just so I can make sure to ask they use heavy tape since there are zero scratches on the frame currently.

I like that the photo says scratched frame isn’t a part of the recall!

Face It

Just made my appointment for the recall. Screen shot the photos ect just so I can make sure to ask they use heavy tape since there are zero scratches on the frame currently.

I like that the photo says scratched frame isn’t a part of the recall!
Make sure you do a walk around of your bike and point out any scratches and such with the service manager. And go a step beyond pointing out that the left side is clear of any marks. Even if they state a procedure that only does the repair from the top of the bike.

I'm sure my tech needed another angle and the most direct is from the left side. The hose and clamps are right there...

When you pick it up do another walk around with the service manager. Hopefully nothing shows up.

I had pointed out one time on another bike a mark on the rear wheel. The tech apprecited that I pointed it out before they replaced the tire. I was on a road trip at the time.

Charliemurphay

Did mine today. Installed the full Samco kit. I did it the longer way and went in through the top, removed everything down to the heads including throttle bodies. Getting that deep wasn’t difficult but finagling that new junction into place took some effort. I ended up removing the thermostat housing, setting the new junction in place on the two head pipes, then shimmying the thermostat housing back in place under it and rotating both together to get them to link up. I think going in over the top was definitely easier than only going in from the sides. But it depends on how deep you wanna get. This bike isn’t difficult to take apart imo, just time consuming. This was all part of my pre-winterazation maintenance.

They're calling for snow this weekend.
F
IMG_9537.jpeg
IMG_9539.jpeg

IMG_9541.jpeg
IMG_9542.jpeg

Bomverh69

Just had my recall notice for this :-( Now i need to find a dealer that will do the work!

I'm in Warwickshire so anyone know a good dealer to get this done? (bought mine from none Indian dealer)