FTR...What is it?

mcpt1

With the 2022's having 17in wheels and less suspension you can't call it a flat tracker. Is it a naked? Is it a streetfighter? Those of you with a 2022 that also ride sport or sporty bikes, can you unravel a twisty road on the new FTR? Trying to finagle a demo ride here in Michigan to decide for myself. I love the looks of the FTR, best looking bike I've seen in a long time, hoping it will be responsive enough to satisfy my twisty road habit. Opinions?

FTRRCv2

With the 2022's having 17in wheels and less suspension you can't call it a flat tracker. Is it a naked? Is it a streetfighter? Those of you with a 2022 that also ride sport or sporty bikes, can you unravel a twisty road on the new FTR? Trying to finagle a demo ride here in Michigan to decide for myself. I love the looks of the FTR, best looking bike I've seen in a long time, hoping it will be responsive enough to satisfy my twisty road habit. Opinions?
With the real sport tires, it truly is comparable to a Monster if you have ever ridden one of them. Except a lot more low and mid range grunt, better ergo's with less weight on the wrists, and mirrors that are usable as they aren't shaking so bad. I sold my Ducati Diavel to buy it, happy I did. A little less power and outright speed, but more flickable and quicker on the power with a wider torque range. Feels much lighter although I know they spec about the same. Hopefully the Indian will be more reliable and better built with less maintenance costs.

pushit

at 3-3500 rpm its one of those mechanical bulls trying to throw you off.
Pay $15-20k for a bike, only to then have to buy a tune to make it run smoothly.
Idk what classification it falls under, I was cross shopping the ftr with a 2021 honda cb1000r. I don't care about inline4 vs vtwin. But I didn't feel like waiting for the honda, the ergo's on the ftr are better, and I've already owned hondas so I wanted to give Indian a shot.

Timps27

I only see 3,500 as I pass through it in 1st, from there on its above 4k, this motor loves to be rung out. FTR actually stands for Fun To Ride in my mind, I love all of my bikes, but none have the ability to make me grin and squeal like this one!

R. Warshawsky

at 3-3500 rpm its one of those mechanical bulls trying to throw you off.
Pay $15-20k for a bike, only to then have to buy a tune to make it run smoothly.
Idk what classification it falls under, I was cross shopping the ftr with a 2021 honda cb1000r. I don't care about inline4 vs vtwin. But I didn't feel like waiting for the honda, the ergo's on the ftr are better, and I've already owned hondas so I wanted to give Indian a shot.
This confirms in my mind the wide variety of performance there is among the bikes out there. I found the OEM update produced good results. I have retained the cat and added a slip on exhaust. Others are not so happy. YMMV. Good luck.

mcpt1

Local dealer finally got one in, I'll decide for myself later in the week, appreciate the responses

Anton G

I just got one a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I've heard so far from friends and random people: "it looks mean", "it looks fast", "it looks pointy like it wants to go fast", "is that an actual Indian?" and my favorite "it looks modern and classic at the same time". I think of it as the only American street naked bike that competes with the Euro and Japanese counterparts but has that distinct v-twin hot rod character. I'm still breaking the bike in, but it is very, VERY hard to resist to twist the throttle and just let her rip. It's a monster. I've never ridden the previous generation FTRs, but as soon as I test rode this one, I literally felt like I'd been riding this bike for months, that's how comfortable it was for me. Plus - and this is one of the biggest selling points for me - it looks absolutely stunning. I love the look and proportions of both the original FTRs and the more street oriented ones. Indian knocked it out of the park with the FTR in general. I can't wait to see where they will take these bikes next.