Ftr won’t start in cold.

RiverRat

So what’s the secret to get the ftr to fire up below 25 degrees? I have a battery tinder hooked up but still doesn’t start if temp is below 25 F. Love the bike but this is a deal breaker. Will have to trade if this problem continues

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
By getting it tuned. Or holding the throttle open partially for a while till it wakes up to 135*

It’s a well know issue they have cold start issues with oem crappy tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverRat

I don’t get a chance to hold throttle open tho, it doesn’t turn over. It hits for a split second then nothing until battery runs down. If I have to buy a 500 dollar tune then what’s the point of the factory tune on a 15000 dollar bike? It’s a lot of money for a motorcycle that doesn’t start from the factory in cold weather...

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Because almost every modern bike needs a tune due to the weak tune they are required to have for the epa

But that sounds like a battery issue. If it’s that bad. Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Luckily it has a warranty.

Or you you have aftermarket turn signals or anything else aftermarket hooked up to the bike?

RiverRat

I use a heat suit while riding but I never hook it up before moving. I keep it on smart battery tender that tells me the battery is good. Would the dealer be able to retune it? Thanks for your fast input.

RiverRat

If I do the dealer put them on. I’m not 100 percent sure on that...would that put to much strain on battery? Battery gets charged every night and it starts fine when temperature is slightly warmer.

Max Kool

Btw, if you ride your bike daily-ish, it shouldn’t need to be on a tender overnight. Period.

RiverRat

That’s what I said but the first time this happened I complained to my dealer and he said buy a battery tender to help it...so I did. Same thing is happening tho. Now he thinks water is in fuel and wants me to bring it in to get it plugged up.

RiverRat

I know. I feel like I haven’t talked to a single person that rides or works on bikes at this dealer ship. Guess ima ride it up on a warm day and see what they say. Maybe they can remap it. Don’t wanna trade it in but it’s not looking good at the moment

RiverRat

So don’t let them do that? Lol. I’ve never brought my bikes to a dealer before but this one is covered by warranty so why not?

Max Kool

Whatever makes them happy, they'll probably reinstall the same base map, overwriting ones and zeros with the exact same ones and zeros.

Give them a chance, but stand your ground. A bike that's been ridden today, should start up a few days later. Period. Odds are your battery is just a DOA.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Debatable.

Only one I’ve seen with zero negative reviews is Ryan from Charlotte Indian.