FTR1200 Offset Frame Sliders Crash / Drop Protectors

AZDream

Site Supporter
Ok, have to ask, why offset. To me it seems like it might bend the frame. Why not run it straight out off of that frame bolt?

MMC

Ok, have to ask, why offset. To me it seems like it might bend the frame. Why not run it straight out off of that frame bolt?
It's highly unlikely any of the sliders offered will bend the frame due to the way they are mounted. The PUIG units that stick straight out like dildos, further than all others, have a tendencey to snap the hardware upon the lightest impact. The offest allows the bumper to contact at a lower point and hopefully save the goods better and quicker. They also allow the units to be less obtrusive, out of the way and stick out less

Last edited:

AleGav

It's highly unlikely any of the sliders offered will bend the frame due to the way they are mounted. The PUIG units that stick straight out like dildos, further than all others, have a tendencey to snap the hardware upon the lightest impact. The offest allows the bumper to contact at a lower point and hopefully save the goods better and quicker. They also alllow the units to be less obtrusive, out of the way and stick out less
Can confirm on the dildos, I have them. They are absolutely hideous.

1000000651.jpg

I can't wait for my new set :)

K1000

Site Supporter
Sliders as a concept are controversial. For some, they are the best invention since sliced bread. To others, they are a frame-wrecking contraption.

I suppose the general wisdom is that they are good for minor incidents, but may be counterproductive in a high-speed crash.

If you are just manipulating the bike in place, lose balance and drop it at zero speed, they are a godsend. Or if you drop the bike during an emergency braking for a pedestrian while going around a city street corner at low speed (happened to me). Or if the bike is parked longitudinally on a slope in a way that it stands almost upright (the side stand is 'uphill') and it falls over to the other side as you try to mount it (happened to me, too) (yes, I'm stupid).

A high-speed crash is another story. Then all bets are off and the slider might even cause more damage to the frame.

That said, I have never before taken a bike out of a dealership without having sliders on it. Always used to order sliders with a new bike. The FTR is an exception, because I didn't find any... until now. I really like these that MMC offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMC

MMC

Sliders as a concept are controversial. For some, they are the best invention since sliced bread. To others, they are a frame-wrecking contraption.

I suppose the general wisdom is that they are good for minor incidents, but may be counterproductive in a high-speed crash.

If you are just manipulating the bike in place, lose balance and drop it at zero speed, they are a godsend. Or if you drop the bike during an emergency braking for a pedestrian while going around a city street corner at low speed (happened to me). Or if the bike is parked longitudinally on a slope in a way that it stands almost upright (the side stand is 'uphill') and it falls over to the other side as you try to mount it (happened to me, too) (yes, I'm stupid).

A high-speed crash is another story. Then all bets are off and the slider might even cause more damage to the frame.

That said, I have never before taken a bike out of a dealership without having sliders on it. Always used to order sliders with a new bike. The FTR is an exception, because I didn't find any... until now. I really like these that MMC offers.
You sir are 💯 right on the money with your statement and information. Would be happy to set you up. Just lmk. Cheers!

Charliemurphay

I slid my FTR 2 summers ago at 70mph (check link in signature for pics). Had the RSD sliders installed at the time and it got ground down to a nubbin but saved most of my bike from additional damage, including the frame. Have the Puig monstrosities now because at the time the RSD ones could already not be found anymore so had to find a different solution. I will be swapping the beastly Puigs out for @MMC much nicer offset sliders tomorrow.

Last edited:

K1000

Site Supporter
get this and you'll never worry

Loks loud.
Call me weird, but... I don't like making noise. Quite happy that the stock Akrapovič is so relatively quiet. Wouldn't mind if it was even quieter.
I often ride in natural parks and other sensitive mountain areas. Animals live there. People go there to relax.

There is a growing movement in Europe to ban noisy motorcycles from riding in sensitive scenic areas:

Also, signs like these start popping up at mountain passes:

Untitled-550.jpg

Either you ride slowly and quietly, or we shall have no choice but to forbid entry to motorcycles.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion in a Forum such as this, but... 🤷🏼‍♂️

irsh

Loks loud.
Call me weird, but... I don't like making noise. Quite happy that the stock Akrapovič is so relatively quiet. Wouldn't mind if it was even quieter.
I often ride in natural parks and other sensitive mountain areas. Animals live there. People go there to relax.

There is a growing movement in Europe to ban noisy motorcycles from riding in sensitive scenic areas:

Also, signs like these start popping up at mountain passes:

View attachment 8667

Either you ride slowly and quietly, or we shall have no choice but to forbid entry to motorcycles.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion in a Forum such as this, but... 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's too bad quiet exhaust has to be so damn ugly.

K1000

Site Supporter
I was thinking OEM and you're right, the Akra's look nice. Too bad Indian cheaped out after '22 and gave us the giant stainless cans. I bet they (Akra's) sound much better without the resonator.

Exactly! In 2022 even the Sport used to come with Akras.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I believe this is something that economists call 'shrinkflation': A lesser product for the same money (or a phycically reduced product, like a smaller chocolate bar, or smaller amount of toothpaste for the same price). It's basically a hidden form of price inflation.