Get rid of cat and keep stock exhaust, or keep cat and change exhaust?

modrummer

Currently I have the catalytic converter in place with the muffler removed, the volume is nice (louder than stock, but not crazy loud like I'm told it is without the cat).

I'd love to remove the ugly cat, if I keep the stock muffler and use a link pipe in place of the cat, how loud would it be? Trying to decide before I get it tuned since I presume the tune is different with and without cat.

Also, if I go the no cat + stock muffler route, is a pv3 a good bet for the tune?

edgelett

any bike without the cat is very loud. If you leave the stock muffler have you got the baffles in it?
as for tuning, what year is your FTR?

instant

decat + stock muffler will be a bit more quiet than cat box + no muffler, but much better sound (at least for me). as regards the sound, the cat box removal usually is the best bang for $ on any bike.

you will need a new tune. I have Lloyd tune and I am super happy with it

modrummer

any bike without the cat is very loud. If you leave the stock muffler have you got the baffles in it?
as for tuning, what year is your FTR?
Yep planning to leave baffle in, or possibly Drill a small amount of baffle if I want some more volume.

2019 is the year! So Lloyd's tune? Are there multiple different Lloyd's tunes based on your mods?

modrummer

Followup question, for Lloyd's v6 tune it says I need software "AH2" installed, is that something the dealer does for me ? If so, how do I check if that's already been done?

edgelett

ok with a 2019, you will either have a) the stock ECU software or b) the dealer may have updated it at some time for the newer ECU software (AH2).
what is your cold idle speed?

I recommend a Lloydz ECU flash for your tune.

modrummer

ok with a 2019, you will either have a) the stock ECU software or b) the dealer may have updated it at some time for the newer ECU software (AH2).
what is your cold idle speed?

I recommend a Lloydz ECU flash for your tune.
So attached is a picture of what thr ridecommand screen says my software is, shouldn't this say "AH2", if I have it or no?

Cold idle is around 1500 (which I hear means I have AH2, but doesn't say that on thr software screen).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211_135358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211_135358_Gallery.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 5

edgelett

So attached is a picture of what thr ridecommand screen says my software is, shouldn't this say "AH2", if I have it or no?

Cold idle is around 1500 (which I hear means I have AH2, but doesn't say that on thr software screen).
ride command software is completely different to ECU software.
You can't see the ECU software version from the Ride Command.

if you're idling at 1500 then yes you have AH2.
(by the way i hadn't heard that you MUST have AH2 to get the Lloydz ECU flash - only that if you have the AH2 software you can ONLY get the ECU flash.)

modrummer

ride command software is completely different to ECU software.
You can't see the ECU software version from the Ride Command.

if you're idling at 1500 then yes you have AH2.
(by the way i hadn't heard that you MUST have AH2 to get the Lloydz ECU flash - only that if you have the AH2 software you can ONLY get the ECU flash.)
Great info!

Thanks for the help. I'm waiting for my toce link pipe to come in to make sure I like the sound of that with the stock muffler before I tune it, but ill plan to do Lloyd's.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any inexpensive mufflers that have some baffling ? I probably won't go that route, but it would be nice to get rid of the stock muffler eventually. I've just heard it's crazy loud once the cat is gone if you don't have baffling.

edgelett

Out of curiosity, do you know of any inexpensive mufflers that have some baffling ? I probably won't go that route, but it would be nice to get rid of the stock muffler eventually. I've just heard it's crazy loud once the cat is gone if you don't have baffling.
sadly no, the Akraprovic for the FTR come with baffles so that could be an option if you can get a set from someone who hasn't removed theirs.
Toce do an end pipe I think, not sure how loud it is or if it comes with baffles (I have the Toce full system with baffles, it's loud but not insane)
I think most of the various mufflers out there come both with and without baffles
but you'd be hard pressed to find a cheap one other than someone selling the Akras.

modrummer

sadly no, the Akraprovic for the FTR come with baffles so that could be an option if you can get a set from someone who hasn't removed theirs.
Toce do an end pipe I think, not sure how loud it is or if it comes with baffles (I have the Toce full system with baffles, it's loud but not insane)
I think most of the various mufflers out there come both with and without baffles
but you'd be hard pressed to find a cheap one other than someone selling the Akras.
Well I guess we will see how the stock muffler sounds. Just gotta wait on Toce to ship me that dang link pipe!

edgelett

Well I guess we will see how the stock muffler sounds. Just gotta wait on Toce to ship me that dang link pipe!
what stock muffler do you have if not the Akras?
The full black heavy ones from the 2019 S model?
I had the full black ones, replaced my whole exhaust with the Toce full system.
lots of people around selling the akras you could probably get a set somewhere.

modrummer

Yeah I have the original one from the 2019 S for now. Weirdly I haven't been seeing used Akras for sale, but if any pop up cheap enough i'll grab em!

modrummer

Also saw a guy selling a Bassani exhaust in the marketplace, thought about picking that up, but I hear they are INSANELY loud. Is that true? I like a throaty bike, but I don't like something that draws a ton of attention from just making noise.

donlycan

On my '19 RR I installed the Akra header (cat removed) and I have the Akra up mufflers with baffles left in. Lloyd's tuned with that combo, bike runs and sounds awesome.

edgelett

Yeah I have the original one from the 2019 S for now. Weirdly I haven't been seeing used Akras for sale, but if any pop up cheap enough i'll grab em!
try the FTR Facebook groups. people who bought a 2022 onwards and swap their exhausts are often selling them there.

edgelett

Also saw a guy selling a Bassani exhaust in the marketplace, thought about picking that up, but I hear they are INSANELY loud. Is that true? I like a throaty bike, but I don't like something that draws a ton of attention from just making noise.
yep - very very loud.
Some people have made baffles for them.
look at Verex from Tasmania, I think he does a baffle for his. looks like the Bassani and fits the same but is quieter.