Get rid of cat and keep stock exhaust, or keep cat and change exhaust?

MacBayne

Currently I have the catalytic converter in place with the muffler removed, the volume is nice (louder than stock, but not crazy loud like I'm told it is without the cat).

I'd love to remove the ugly cat, if I keep the stock muffler and use a link pipe in place of the cat, how loud would it be? Trying to decide before I get it tuned since I presume the tune is different with and without cat.

Also, if I go the no cat + stock muffler route, is a pv3 a good bet for the tune?

Muffler removed? Do you mean baffle?

modrummer

Some people remove the muffler completely..someone on here has just put a small length of tube onto the exit of the cat to make it look better.
Yep, mine has the cat in place, no muffler and just an exhaust tip attached to the cat. Looks kinda ugly and I want to get rid of the cat anyway.

I have a Toce link pipe coming in next week. Going to run that with the stock muffler first to make sure I'm good with the sound of no cat. Then will eventually put a lighter muffler on.

MacBayne

How could you stand the volume of your bike with both removed?

Removing both is gonna make it run like absolute ass, as well.

modrummer

Don’t see one so here’s a quick vid of my 19” with a cat delete and a bassani slip on. Yes it’s ridiculously loud, but I love every bit of it. People next to me? Not so much 😂
I'm with you on that, it sounds AMAZING (I ran mine for a sec with no cat and no muffler which is basically the same thing as the Bassani haha). Way too loud to be comfortable for me for this type of bike, but sounds incredible!

I've had a couple big cubic inch custom choppers with straight pipes, and even tho thats the same realm of overwhelmingly loud, it somehow was fitting with those bikes. Not so much with the FTR,

irsh

Don’t see one so here’s a quick vid of my 19” with a cat delete and a bassani slip on. Yes it’s ridiculously loud, but I love every bit of it. People next to me? Not so much 😂
Sounds great! Not totally rude in the scheme of things. Not what I'd (meaning my neighbors) want for my daily (leaving for work before 6am) bike though. :p

BaddFTR1200

Sounds great! Not totally rude in the scheme of things. Not what I'd (meaning my neighbors) want for my daily (leaving for work before 6am
Oh I definitely agree lol rattling at 6am for sure. Fortunately I’m not using the Ftr as a daily at the moment, but I have taken it to work a few times. I end up rolling down my drive way and firing it up at the street and letting it warm up in gear with no throttle. Just so I don’t piss off MY neighbors, I wake up other neighbors 😂

Blue1

If you can't start your bike at night in your driveway without pissing off the neighbors, your bike is too loud.

I deleted the cat and got an S&S pipe, which was just insanely loud. I've had big HP fours my whole riding career (45+ years) and a straight pipe four can be ridden lightly and you can keep it reasonable, but this set-up was so intolerable I went back to the stock Akrapovic mufflers without the cats.

Sounds good, it could be a little louder, but the S&S set-up was intolerable.

FTR London

If you can't start your bike at night in your driveway without pissing off the neighbors, your bike is too loud.

I deleted the cat and got an S&S pipe, which was just insanely loud. I've had big HP fours my whole riding career (45+ years) and a straight pipe four can be ridden lightly and you can keep it reasonable, but this set-up was so intolerable I went back to the stock Akrapovic mufflers without the cats.

Sounds good, it could be a little louder, but the S&S set-up was intolerable.
I had the same set up before I fitted a Toce. S&S can, link pipe and cat delete. Much nicer tone on the S&S and loved the volume.

I'm sorry, but this is a ludicrous statement.

BaddFTR1200

Virginia is also a pretty dangerous state to be riding in. All kinds of traffic and nobody looks for cycles. I’d rather have everyone know I’m there, loud pipes save lives lol. This is also my first vtwin and I’m in love with the sound. I see a few people suggesting the “loud pipes don’t fit the Ftr” but I’m all about it lol.