Got my 2-2 on the other week

Walrus

Exhaust heat is a horror. I endured it for years and 60K-plus miles on my V-Rod with full Akravpovic exhaust - to the extent I cooked my right thigh in New York City stop-and-go traffic at the Holland Tunnel.
But one day, while pulling my bike into my Florida garage I scorched my thigh again (despite many of the tricks above). Put the kickstand down and said enough. Bike was gone and traded the next day.
Hope it doesn't spoil your experience. Is hard to endure long-term.

Bumati

I had a Remus on my xr1200. I use to burn holes in jeans all the time. I had it coated and never had the issue again.

JDP

Sissy’s, glad you traded your bike we didn’t want you riding this fine machine anyway, check out the Honda shops they have some nice rebel’s for sale, oops sorry maybe a Grom

TJB

Yeah it was a little annoying but hey, nothing worth doing isn't, so there. Broke one of the supplied clamps, supposed to be 35 ft/lbs but it snapped the bolt well before that, no big deal just reused the stock slip-on clamp.

As soon as I got my tune I took it out in the cold and man, it sounds great! Though I think my dreams of a fender delete are dashed now, really hate my turn signals being so low, lots of tailgaters where I live. The bike pulls a ever so slightly to the right now, probably because the weight is less centered, probably just going to counteract that with the side bag. Might have to also look into different foot pegs, really leaning into left handers is certainly weird now with the different positioning of my right leg.

Already wrapped the headers but I definitely have to wrap the muffler inlets too, might even brainstorm a few more ideas on how to keep the heat down (big calves); any ideas guys?

All that being said, totally worth it.

View attachment 5646
Hello from Japan, Thanks for the post. Looks great!!

I have been considering to install the S&S Grand National 2 into 2 system for my 2022 FTR but I could only find the part number for 2019-2021..
Is the S&S header works for the 2022 without any modification ( or 2022 version already available in the US?

I have been serching for the information without a success and this is the first time for me to find the picture of the 2022 MY with S&S grand national 2-2.

Appreciate your advice!!
TJB

Charliemurphay

Hello from Japan, Thanks for the post. Looks great!!

I have been considering to install the S&S Grand National 2 into 2 system for my 2022 FTR but I could only find the part number for 2019-2021..
Is the S&S header works for the 2022 without any modification ( or 2022 version already available in the US?

I have been serching for the information without a success and this is the first time for me to find the picture of the 2022 MY with S&S grand national 2-2.

Appreciate your advice!!
TJB
Yes this system will fit 2022 FTR’s, as it is a complete replacement system.

Reactions: TJB

TJB

F5293D85-A7BC-4D7B-BBD2-50AB9A63D8C6.jpeg
It took me a while but finally I got the pipe installed and tuned at the local tuner. But since I installed the pipe the cylinder deactivation does not work properly. Does anybody know such issue and how to fix it? In my case the idle speed jumps up above 2000rpm when rear cylinder shuts off, then deactivation is immediately cancelled.
Appreciate if anybody could advice (sorry if this kind of issue already discussed in the different thread..)

TJB

That would be a question for who ever tuned your bike.
Thanks for your prompt response.. It happened before it got tuned and the tuner did not found the solution unfortunately.. that is why I’m asking for the forum member if anybody could help.

Last edited:

edgelett

Thanks for your prompt response.. It happened before it got tuned and the tuner did not found the solution unfortunately.. that is why I’m asking for the forum member if anybody could help.
Did you speak to your dealer about it before you got it tuned?
Cause Max is right, your dealer will find a way to say the tune caused it & you likely will have to return your bike to stock to prove it's not the tune (I did when I had a throttle issue)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Honestly it doesn’t reduce heat that much, and the high idle of the single cylinder with a loud exhaust sounds horrible.

i keep mine turned off.

it’s prolly best not to push it with your dealer after you got it tuned.

TJB

Thanks a lot for your reposes and sorry for the slow reply from my side.

I understood that there is no short-cut and I have to rerun the path (my local dealer does not touch the bike with aftermarket exhaust anyhow) or just forget the cylinder deactivation 😅

Thanks again for your valuable inputs!

Charliemurphay

Louder, but not crazy like a full cat delete. The bigger issue people have is them pushing their right leg out a bit and the heat. The leg thing doesnt bother me at all and the heat for me is only an issue when stopping and idling for a couple minutes. Then yea it gets toasty.