Greetings from Andorra

K1000

New member here from Andorra in Europe.

It's not unusual to never have heard of Andorra - it's a tiny little country (population 85 000) high in the mountains between Spain and France. Not an EU member, so there is an actual border where you must stop and (sometimes) get checked. Like it's the 1980's.

Just put down a deposit on a new FTR X 100% R Carbon. Should receive it in 2-3 weeks. I'll post some pictures when I have it.

The Special Edition might be a bit too flashy for me, but the price difference between a regular Carbon and this one was exactly the price of the Akrapovič slip-on (which comes standard on the Special Edition but not on the regular one), so it was a no-brainer. I love Akrapovič, they made noticeable difference on my previous bikes (KTMs and Hondas).

Coming to the FTR from two consecutive SuperDukes 1290. Had to sell the last SuperDuke when we moved to Andorra last year (like I said - non-EU, too much hassle to import a vehicle, it was easier just to sell it and buy a new bike here).

Rented an FTR on a holiday on Madeira island last year (from these guys: https://7mrides.com/). Fell in love with it. Had it for 3 days, so I tested it well. It was a 2022 Sport, with Akrapovič and the original Messenger bag.

I get EUR 1200 worth of original accessories on account of a promotion. What would you guys recommend I get? I was thinking heated grips (we are at 1850 m / 6000 ft here, temperatures are still well below freezing in the mornings now in early May, and it snowed yesterday). Maybe the Messenger Bag or the Travel Bag, but I'm not sure how much those would ruin the looks.

I won't be modding the bike much, as I often find myself riding in countries such as Austria, Switzerland, and northern Italy (part of which is basically like Austria). The police are beyond strict there, they can stop you and measure the noise level and emissions on the spot, check the size of the rear-view mirrors, and such. They can immobilize your bike if something is not up to spec - no fun when you are 2500 km / 1600 miles from home.

Anyways, that's all. Greetings to you all, I'll be reading the Forum and hope to be able to contribute something useful or at least mildly entertaining from time to time.

Last edited:

K1000

In the meantime, here are a few pictures of the 2022 Sport I rented on Madeira last year. My brother got one of them previous generation Scouts. A Bobber or whatsitsname. I tried the Scout, but didn't much care for it. At least I learned that I should steer clear of bikes with only one brake disc - that thing couldn't stop to save its life. Or my life, rather.

But I think the new Scouts that just came out are better. One of them even has (gasp!) two front brake discs :).

Attachments

• Untitled-478.jpg
    Untitled-478.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • Untitled-479.jpg
    Untitled-479.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • Untitled-480.jpg
    Untitled-480.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Untitled-481.jpg
    Untitled-481.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • Untitled-482.jpg
    Untitled-482.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

edgelett

welcome! congrats on the new FTR 100%
given the temperatures you've described I'd say heated grips are a good idea.
And maybe look at luggage options if you plan on doing long trips?

K1000

welcome! congrats on the new FTR 100%
given the temperatures you've described I'd say heated grips are a good idea.
And maybe look at luggage options if you plan on doing long trips?
Thank you!

Heated grips definitely a must, and some luggage, yes. I used to travel with a TON of luggage... until I did this really long walk, 370 km / 230 miles in 17 days. There I was able to carry just one 9 kg / 20 lb backpack. So I learned to live from one backpack for weeks. Since then I travel lightly 😅

The Messenger Bag doesn't really fit color-wise, so I guess I'll just get the All-Weather Vinyl Side Bag, which is black and plenty large.
And protections. Both axle sliders to begin with. They are inobtrusive and might save a few scratches in case of a dumb fall.

The ugliest part of the bike is of course the license plate holder, but I think I'll just let that be, eyesore though it is.

irsh

Does the 100% have the aftermarket levers to match the rear-sets? I'd get those, the difference between the J.Juan and Brembo levers is irritating my OCD.

And welcome, by the way!

K1000

Does the 100% have the aftermarket levers to match the rear-sets? I'd get those, the difference between the J.Juan and Brembo levers is irritating my OCD.

And welcome, by the way!
Hah! See, I never thought about that!

And I don't think they are aftermarket levers, just stock ones. At least judging by the pictures.

Something to keep in mind, thank you for the tip!

K1000

Welcome. Chuck some serious coin at it. You have one of the lowest tax rates in Europe.
Thank you!

Haha, yes, that's how I've been able to afford it. It's only EUR 17200 here, keys in hand, thanks to the low taxes. 3800 EUR less than in neighbouring France and Spain. Or an 18% discount.

That's probably even less than in the U.S., if MSRPs on the U.S. web page are anything to go by (not sure if those include Sales Tax and whatnot).

Last edited:

K1000

On 29 April, when I paid for the FTR: It will be delivered in 2, maximum 3 weeks.
Today 15 May: Hopefully, it'll arrive before the end of May.

🤬🤬🤬

Me no happy camper. No happy camper AT ALL! 🤬

Last edited: