Header removal

K9F

'Head' on over and have a look at the other forum. If you're quick there may be access to 'some sort of Service Manual' thereby saving you $100 or so? Unlike many bought ones this one is in color so you won't have to get the crayons out!

(y)😇

Last edited:

Fuse5

Anyone have detailed instructions on removing your headers?

A service manual will be always good but it´s not really necessary for it.
Bolt off and on .. u will see an explore .. (take the cover´s off first ..one step after the next) just another experience and a forward to know the FTR better.
It`s not a good advice, i know, but its not that difficult and u got a lot more input.
If you did it once and maybe still yelling about .. u will ever remember ;)

Bolt on.. use torques.. which will be in the service manual or here

Last edited:

Rook

Mostly curious about the front. Looks like the radiator is in the way. Curious if you have to move it or if there is a trick to it.

K9F

Erring on the side of caution is always a good thing. If 'you think' it is best to remove the radiator for access, remove it simple! It is an easy task to remove. Header bolts can be notoriously irksome at the best of time due to the extremes of temperatures they are exposed to. One slip and you could stuff the radiator. I'd remove it for easy access personally and a better view and purchase on the bolts you need to get at. I'd also let them soak a while using penetrating oil.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
'Head' on over and have a look at the other forum. If you're quick there may be access to 'some sort of Service Manual' thereby saving you $100 or so? Unlike many bought ones this one is in color so you won't have to get the crayons out!

(y)😇

there isn’t any posted over there ether.
Because that’s how forums get shut down. Craig has the file he just sends out

also that manual isn’t the full maintenance manual.

op are you just removing the front header or the aft header as well?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Then it’s pretty idiot proof, takes 10min.

Remove the muffler and cat, remove the aft heat shield, loosen the clamp for the aft Header flange, and the two nuts for the front header flange, you reuse the gasket for the front.
You don’t have to remove anything else from the bike

K9F

there isn’t any posted over there ether.
Because that’s how forums get shut down. Craig has the file he just sends out

also that manual isn’t the full maintenance manual.

And your point is? As we appear to be splitting hairs here. I didn't say it was 'posted' or indeed the full manual but 'that there may be access to some sort of service manual.' It is still 607 pages of good information that many may not have and is better than none at all? It is also a simple link to a dropbox that he has stated he will be removing the information from very soon as he needs the space. Craig doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it except passing on the first link, it has been his link or links to where people have stored it themselves that is simply passed on by forum members that have received it willing to help others out as an action of goodwill not point scoring.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

How is it not the full manual? I’ve been reading it and it covers every topic I could think would be possible to address on this bike, down to disassembling the engine case and rebuilding the motor. Is there more??

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The one that was posted here and on the other forum a few times was only 73 pages. It was like a quick access guide a maintenance manual From the dealer.

I didn’t know there was a full size pdf running around of the full manual. As I’ve only seen it in print

Charliemurphay

Oh, right I’ve seen the one you’re talking about, is the same as the “General Maintenance” section in the owners manual. The one that Craig has a link to (which he kindly sent me) has the full blown service manual PDF.

link to request thread here;