Hello from Boston

Medic

Hi everyone. I am considering an FTRS and hoping to use the forum to learn more about them and see if it would be a good fit. I rode a 2013 Yamaha FZ1 and loved everything about it. Unfortunately I traded it in for a cruiser (I regret it every day) and I am looking to get back onto a more sporty/ standard bike.

Having not had the chance to ride one yet, what I like about the FTRS is its overall look and flat track inspired design, most reviewers agree it has plenty of power, a great LCD touchscreen system, and the fact that it's unique from an American company. Concerns I have mostly revolve around difficulty finding available performance tires, minimal aftermarket support, and I have read you can only get 100 miles per tank.

Until I can ride one, this seems like the best place to get information. Thanks in advance for all your opinions and support.

-M

DeplorableOne

The lack of aftermarket is a thing as is tires, new ones have 17's which I really wanted, but I'm a cheap skate and didn't want to pay that much for a bike so I picked mine up used. As far as lack of aftermarket it's really up to what you want to do to yours. Again I'm cheap, but I am usually only after quality parts. There is and are quality parts available. I am from a similar situation. I had a ZX10R I did nearly everything you could do to it short of forced induction, took about 10 years off cause of life and came back and bought a Harley, which sucked and I hated it after about 3 months. Honestly I love this bike. I was between 3 bikes and the Indian just did it for me. I also was looking at the yamaha xsr900 and the Ducati Scrambler 1100 pro sport. There are things those bikes do better, but total.package inprefered the Indian. Truth be told there are a lot of mods I want, but there's a lot to be said about not having to replace the entire motorcycle with aftermarket parts to make it worthwhile like a Harley. I think the FTR fills than in-between better than anything I've ever ridden. For those of us who are growing out of the sport bike scene, but we're not quite ready to settle on 1100 pound 80 hp behemoths we can drive from Maine to Socal. Gas tank size, idk after 100 miles of saddle time I like stretching my legs, it's not a touring bike and if I could compare it to anything I'd say it's an older more mature version of like a supermoto bike.

K9F

Welcome Medic,

Deplorableone with regards to the demographics of the FTR is spot on IMHO with his comment about not being ready to settle for behemoths. With regards to the 100 mile tank range with careful planning the FTR will take you wherever you want to go, a tankful equates to about 1.5 hours quite 'spirited' riding. Tires are not an issue as there are quite a few really good brands that have been tried and tested by FTR owners with great reviews. Go get a test ride there are some very good deals to be had on unsold MY19 bikes.

POLL: Best Tire for FTR | Page 4 | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

FTR Tires. List the makes and sizes here. | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Welcome, i traded my full monty 2013 FZ1 for my FTR, almost two years ago now, I do not regret it. The FTR is a different type of ride, but more fun IMO. And just as fast in the mountains.

Medic

Thanks for the responses guys! Seems like many of us have similar riding backgrounds so it's nice to hear your opinions on this bike.

-M

mikefleming

I bought mine knowing the same stuff... was worried about the fuel range as well. After a few hours on the bike I’m ready for a stop anyway to stretch and gas up and don’t mind it.

I’m also not too far from you In Worcester, seems to be a few people in MA now with some FTRs!

Medic

I bought mine knowing the same stuff... was worried about the fuel range as well. After a few hours on the bike I’m ready for a stop anyway to stretch and gas up and don’t mind it.

I’m also not too far from you In Worcester, seems to be a few people in MA now with some FTRs!
Technically I am in Amesbury on the North Shore border with NH. I haven't purchased an FTR yet but if I do I would love to try to organize a meet up!

MSB_71

Hi mate. I bought my FTR for a total change of riding style. Having had Superbikes and a Triumph Tiger Sport 1050 I wanted a bike that wasn't like anything else I've had. Riding this bike is a very unique experience . Fun factor turned up to 11. The tyres on it as standard are good enough for most riding, you need them to complete the look. If you just want a naked bike go for something else. Plenty to choose from. Short fuel range is annoying but you will live. Most of the sports bikes I've had didn't either. Before you jump in buying any motorcycle you should short list at least 3 or 4 bikes and do a pros and cons and determine what you really want in a bike. Most of the people here are owners of this amazing unique bike and can live with its faults if any. Enjoy your shopping experience googling and tyre kicking because once you get your new bike you won't be able to do that again for a while. 😅🤣👍🤛