Hello from Townsville Australia

Rock Ape

Unlike you guys in the colder winter climates, summers here are almost impossible to ride in being in the tropics with the heat and humidity. :)

I've had my FTR 1200S RR for a few months now and she's still stock but I look forward to reading everyone's experiences in tunes, pipes etc.

Previously into sportsbikes and still have an old 2001 ZX12R plus a Rocket 3 R which I traded a 2012 Diavel Carbon for. Love my bikes and have hated selling all of them in the past but the missus can only deal with so many. Mostly miss my old 2013 S1000RR and 2014 Z1000.

Loving the FTR. It really grew on me about 30 minutes into my test ride.

K9F

Welcome from the UK. I had the pleasure of staying in your town for a number of weeks when in the Royal Air Force when it all kicked off in East Timor. We were transporting Ghurka Troops from Darwin. Did Magnetic Island, the Reef and sunk a few in the Mad Cow....often.

Rock Ape

Welcome from the UK. I had the pleasure of staying in your town for a number of weeks when in the Royal Air Force when it all kicked off in East Timor. We were transporting Ghurka Troops from Darwin. Did Magnetic Island, the Reef and sunk a few in the Mad Cow....often.
The old "Mad Cow". Must have been a crazy night no doubt mate. :). What time of year were you were?

Rock Ape

I can barely manage the humidity in Brisbane let alone Townsville lol.
Welcome mate from Adelaide.
Thanks Edge. I'm a Sydney boy but been coming up here off and on for 20 years and lived here for a bit of the time. Yeah, it is diabolical in summer. I have had to go through red lights after stopping so many times because if I stood there longer at the lights, I literally would have collapsed from the heat and humidity. :)

K9F

The old "Mad Cow". Must have been a crazy night no doubt mate. :). What time of year were you were?

Quite a while ago September 1999. We had been involved in an exercise in the South China Sea involving the Malaysian and Singapore forces. We were providing air to air refuelling with our VC10 Tanker. East Timor all kicked off and someone in London realized they had an asset that side of the World already so we got redeployed. We moved to Brunei for a week then arrived so late to the party the World's press had descended on Darwin and there wasn't a bed to be had. We flew on and spent our time in Townsville and flew daily to Darwin ferrying Ghurka soldiers. We worked hard and played hard. Here's a small article where our aircraft gets a mention.

From Townsville we flew onto Fiji, Hawaii, El Centro California. Great times.....no wonder I got divorced. Townsville was nice!

Rock Ape

Quite a while ago September 1999. We had been involved in an exercise in the South China Sea involving the Malaysian and Singapore forces. We were providing air to air refuelling with our VC10 Tanker. East Timor all kicked off and someone in London realized they had an asset that side of the World already so we got redeployed. We moved to Brunei for a week then arrived so late to the party the World's press had descended on Darwin and there wasn't a bed to be had. We flew on and spent our time in Townsville and flew daily to Darwin ferrying Ghurka soldiers. We worked hard and played hard. Here's a small article where our aircraft gets a mention.

From Townsville we flew onto Fiji, Hawaii, El Centro California. Great times.....no wonder I got divorced. Townsville was nice!
Thanks for sharing mate. Great story. That is only a few years after I first started coming here and have lived here for a number of years off and on ever since with my ex-wife being a local girl. Hopefully you get a chance to see the place again one day ... though still not too much to see but it certainly has changed and grown up a lot.

D

Deleted member 706

Yeah for once our isolation is working for us, I guess we're lucky we don't have border communities.
We got lucky because Brazil's iron ore mines couldn't produce product and we could...
We're still as vulnerable as any place else.

D

Deleted member 706

How's life there? You guys have pretty much created your own country now with Covid and border closures. I hear WA doesn't want anyone there from the rest of the country until mid next year at the earliest. :LOL:
There's a certain fat cunt who is trying crash our party 😜