Helmet!

Fuse5

For classic meetings it will be ok. (yourself responsible)

With our memory in riding motorcycles and without help in advance
..in use.. (don´t fit any regulations anymore).
IMG_5224[1].JPG

mark.lb

How often does everyone replace their primary helmet? I was wearing a 8 year old helmet when I crashed last year. It was still in excellent condition and although I sustained multiple broken bones I had no head injury.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I Buy a new one every two years. I sell them at two years to keep some resale value. So it’s has a 3 year lifespan left to the new owner.

My current bell race star cost me $250 out of pocket.

Here is one of the many articles out on the topic. In summary the internals break down.

mark.lb

I agree. The Indian Outpost “is” the new helmet...
Thanks for the article. Five years sounds like a good rule of thumb. I also remove and wash the snap in lining about once a month during the riding season. I keep my helmet indoors year round. (Not in the hot garage in the summer or freezing garage in the winter.)

Last edited:

edgelett

I replace my helmet at no more than 5 years. every time you put your helmet on, and wear it, it DOES affect the padding etc.
and stuff degrades over time.
I also keep my helmet inside whenever I'm not riding my bike so it's out the weather.
I have to say, when i got my most recent helmet 2 years ago, it was half the weight of the previous one.
it's worth upgrading regularly just to get a lighter, quieter, cooler helmet lol

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I jinxed my buddy with this thread.
Just sold this gt-air to him a week before he wend down Yesterday. Build date 9/2017. Head hit so hard it damaged the foam inside, and received a minor concussion. Good example why it’s good to retire old helmets before the insides break down.

Attachments

• A3423596-471D-43CF-B94D-560B134BAEC2.jpeg
    A3423596-471D-43CF-B94D-560B134BAEC2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 8CD01CE1-F92C-4DDD-A773-C5C4CEC6D598.jpeg
    8CD01CE1-F92C-4DDD-A773-C5C4CEC6D598.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Massimo

Is here somebody who cleans his helmet with a mini ozone generator (anti bacterial) like me ? It takes only one minute !

K9F

Ferraiolo1 at least he sounds like he's ok. I too have a GT Air II and whilst they look cool, light and breezy and can at times be prohibitively expensive the helmet obviously behaved impeccably in this instance. I do have a tendency of keeping mine for the five year duration thereafter they get donated to my local fire station whereupon they are used in accident training. A fitting end I think?

@Massimo I have never heard of an anti bacterial ozone generator but I have heard of a washing machine with a delicate washing program. My lining gets washed maybe twice a year delicately or more frequently if the weather is hot and I have been sweating inside it. I had a break from motorcycling and had an old Arai languishing in the back of a wardrobe for a few years. The lining was not removable only the cheek pads and nose and chin infills. When I eventually dug it out the foam lining had literally turned to grain.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I was impressed. It was a really good helmet.
They can be expensive. But usually I start searching for close out deals a few months before I want a new one. My current race star only cost me $250 out of pocket. So if I use it for two/three years and sell it for $200 I’m happy.

I really wanted the gt-air 2. But I couldn’t get a deal I wanted. Plus I wanted to try the bell transition lens.

on a bright note. He just bought a bell star (same as the race star, just not carbon fiber) for a really good deal. Deal is still going on. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-star-mips-dlx-helmet