Hitting the open road

Santiago Red

While I'm waiting for my FTR 1200 S bike, I've decided to go on one last group ride with Big Red (my current bike). We're going through the Ocala National Forest. Unfortunately, it can't be longer than that because we all have work and family obligations. I'm glad my riding buddies wanted to get out there and ride. Now I can give Big Red a proper send-off before she's handed down to my son. It's usually tough choosing which route to take because I also enjoy riding through the North Tampa Circuit. Florida is a great place for touring and traveling on a motorcycle. The scenery is gorgeous and there are plenty of entertaining places to stop if the weather isn't cooperating or you just need a break from riding. Where do you like to go when you're dying to hit the open road? Have you ever had a dreadful experience with a route that should be avoided?

K9F

I live on the South Coast of the UK and in our county we don't have a single motorway (interstate I believe?). There are a couple of really well attended bike meets in the area on a Tuesday and Thursday which are relatively local. They are enough to get you out meet a few likeminded people, grab something to eat and head home without too much family obligation disturbance on a school night when you have work the next day.

Southampton Bike Night on a Thursday is about a 35 mile run one way through the beautiful New Forest region. The meet is held at Bargates which is one of the ancient Saxon entrances to the city.

Below is Poole Quay Bike Night on a Tuesday which regularly has nearly 1000 bikes in attendance. They have a competition whereupon some local dignitary (usually the Mayor) picks a favourite bike on the night and you get a bag of motorcycle products and your picture in the local press.

Another place we like to go is a place called Tyneham Village. A village that has been deserted and 'frozen in time' for nearly 80 years. What remains of the Post Office can be seen in the background.

Last edited:

Santiago Red

Those are some gorgeous views so I can see why you enjoy riding there. I've never been to a huge rally like that, it must be a lot of fun to hang with so many other riding enthusiasts at once. Lots of great looking bikes in that first and second pics. The bike in the third pic is lovely as well and I'd like to know the owner's secret for keeping it so clean looking.

K9F

Hi Santiago, bike is nearly three years old now. Winter time I liberally give the bike a dosing of ACF50 and simply wipe the excess off. I do ride in the Winter up until the point salt gets dumped on the roads. If Winter isn’t harsh and no salt goes down I will ride it year round. Summer time as dust and pollen will stick to the ACF50 I use WD40 instead. Crank cases and paint I just use Mr Sheen wax furniture polish. I only very rarely use water to clean but use liberal amounts of ACF50 or WD40 and wipe down with lint free towels and cloths. The bike also lives in an inflated ‘Bike Bubble’ year round.

Merrick

One of the best trips I've had was when I visited a buddy in South Dakota and we drove across part of Needles Highway. I can see why many bikers take that route to get to Sturgis. The mountain views are incredible and the turns and tunnels add to the fun and adrenaline rush.

@Santiago Red is Florida as difficult to ride in as people say?

@K9F Ah, I see you guys have your own version of Sturgis. It looks like a good time.

Santiago Red

@Santiago Red is Florida as difficult to ride in as people say?
No, not really. Sometimes the tourist areas are a little tough, mostly because some of the drivers get distracted or plain just don't know where they're going so you have to be really vigilant. The traffic doesn't help in those areas either. Driving on the beach is always interesting because you never know what the sand will do, but that's part of the thrill. It's really mostly about maintaining your situational awareness.

K9F

'Open Road' to me is what people have easy access to and can also be determined by riding ability. Unmade roads such as those depicted above are very few and far between in the UK. Many have been closed due to the selfish and unscrupulous riders and drivers who rip and tear the roads apart with their shenanigans with no regard for others that may want to enjoy them. Where we do still have access they are called 'Byways' and the pastime heading off-road (unmade roads) called 'Green-laning.' If you want to get away to the 'Open Road' the Scottish Highlands come very highly recommended but dependent on time of year the weather cannot be relied upon with all four seasons showing their hand in a single day. I spent four years based up there in the Royal Air Force.

MotoJedi

While I'm waiting for my FTR 1200 S bike, I've decided to go on one last group ride with Big Red (my current bike). We're going through the Ocala National Forest. Unfortunately, it can't be longer than that because we all have work and family obligations. I'm glad my riding buddies wanted to get out there and ride. Now I can give Big Red a proper send-off before she's handed down to my son. It's usually tough choosing which route to take because I also enjoy riding through the North Tampa Circuit. Florida is a great place for touring and traveling on a motorcycle. The scenery is gorgeous and there are plenty of entertaining places to stop if the weather isn't cooperating or you just need a break from riding. Where do you like to go when you're dying to hit the open road? Have you ever had a dreadful experience with a route that should be avoided?

St Pete here. Let's ride sometime!