Hopeful FTR owner

Get2theChoppa

Signed up because I’m likely trading in my Harley for an ftr later this week! I’ll mostly be quiet as I’m here to learn. I’ll either be going for the base model, or the S. I haven’t been riding for super long, so I’ll probably pick the S for the added safety features, but we’ll see.

Walrus

Did you test ride the FTR? Very different beast than your Harley in almost every way imaginable.
If the Softtail Slim ain't a daily, I'm not sure you'll find it in an FTR either.
But everyone's butt is different.
As for base vs S:
My own choice: the plain vanilla FTR, which is perfect for customizing, and a much better value since the performance is the same.
You can't de-cat the 2022 Akrapovic exhaust with slip ons, which means more weight and heat (apparently an 2019-21 issue.) The upgraded Info panel is notoriously glitchy. Plenty of complaints at other places on the net.
But if the S makes you feel safer, you'll probably ride it better - and not a wrong choice.
I decided to save the dough and bought the base.
When looking at prices don't forget Indian's advertised base FTR prices don't include a $600 non-negotiable "logistics surcharge" (what ever that is) and freight. So your $14,999 S model is pushing 16K.
Good luck!

Get2theChoppa

Did you test ride the FTR? Very different beast than your Harley in almost every way imaginable.
If the Softtail Slim ain't a daily, I'm not sure you'll find it in an FTR either.
As for base vs S:
My own choice: the plain vanilla FTR, which is perfect for customizing, and a much better value since the performance is the same.
You can't de-cat the 2022 Akrapovic exhaust with slip ons, which means more weight and heat (apparently an 2019-21 issue.) The upgraded Info panel is notoriously glitchy. Plenty of complaints at other places on the net.
But if the S makes you feel safer, you'll probably ride it better - and not a wrong choice.
When looking at prices don't forget Indian's advertised base FTR prices don't include a non-negotiable "logistic surcharge" (what ever that is) and freight. So your $14,999 S model is pushing 16K.
Good luck!
I did test ride both the ftr and the s with a friend of mine. It felt comfortable, loved how it handled, throttle response/clutch were better imo than the Harley. My one big complaint with the Harley is it’s maneuverability, or lack thereof. Love it’s torque, I never feel like I am lacking power, but I wish I could lean a little more. The FTR is the first bike of this size I’ve rode and liked. More than liked, if I’m being honest, I fell for it immediately. I didn’t want the test ride to end. My initial want was for the base model for worry of the screen giving me issues. I prefer simple things, but a friend of mine suggested the S because of the ride modes/safety features. I’m not too reckless, but the lean angle abs is a selling point, as is the Akrapovic that may hold me off from immediately swapping the exhaust or chopping it dirty in my garage lol.

Get2theChoppa

As for base vs S:
When looking at prices don't forget Indian's advertised base FTR prices don't include a $600 non-negotiable "logistics surcharge" (what ever that is) and freight. So your $14,999 S model is pushing 16K.
Good luck!
Oh, and the logistics surcharge has gone up recently. It’s now 900! Fun stuff.

Walrus

@choppa: Understand the safety thing. Swapped my 2018 Street Glide for the 2020 CVO Glide just to have traction control and turning ABS on such a heavy bike. I race CCS - slow and old - so don't usually fear braking, but these Harleys are pushing 900 lbs. Per the handling, on the Softtail vs FTR is indeed day and night. Agree FTR is much lighter on its feet. Since I'm customizing, FTR S and above doesn't make sense. Ironically I waited to pull trigger until the FTR LE arrived at dealer. Went convinced I was going to buy it - and bought the base because it's an incredible value.

Get2theChoppa

@choppa: Understand the safety thing. Swapped my 2018 Street Glide for the 2020 CVO Glide just to have traction control and turning ABS on such a heavy bike. I race CCS - slow and old - so don't usually fear braking, but these Harleys are pushing 900 lbs. Per the handling, on the Softtail vs FTR is indeed day and night. Agree FTR is much lighter on its feet. Since I'm customizing, FTR S and above doesn't make sense. Ironically I waited to pull trigger until the FTR LE arrived at dealer. Went convinced I was going to buy it - and bought the base because it's an incredible value.
That’s awesome that you race! Love Harley’s for what they are, but they sure do have limits.
That makes total sense. However, I’m trying to mitigate how much customization I do right off the bat. As a recovering jeep owner, immediately modding vehicles is a difficult temptation to resist. The S might make more sense for me in that regard.

Murdock

Did you test-ride the 1. Gen or 2. Gen FTR (with 17" wheels)? It is a difference and may should play a role in your choice. I love my 1. Gen "S" but never tested the newer one.
Regarding "Base" vs. "S" : You can add the S&S Engine Control Manager to the base model to get the ride modes (https://www.sscycle.com/products/ss...20-indian-ftr-1200-models-excluding-s-models/). This might be a good option if you find a good base model deal.

Whatever you choose .. have fun and always a safe ride!

Last edited:

Get2theChoppa

Did you test-ride the 1. Gen or 2. Gen FTR (with 17" wheels)? It is a difference and may should play a role in your choice. I love my 1. Gen "S" but never tested the newer one.
Regarding "Base" vs. "S" : You can add the S&S Engine Control Manager to the base model to get the ride modes (https://www.sscycle.com/products/ss...20-indian-ftr-1200-models-excluding-s-models/). This might be a good option if you find a good base model deal.

Whatever you choose .. have fun and always a safe ride!
I test rode the gen 2. Whoa! I didn’t know that thing existed. I don’t see one for the 2022 models, but I’m going to keep looking. Thanks man!

Get2theChoppa

Well, I made the plunge. I couldn’t resist the value of the base model after all. The Harley will be missed, but I’m already loving this FTR.

Attachments

• D9827FE3-E024-40D4-9099-3FF715D0C6D1.jpeg
    D9827FE3-E024-40D4-9099-3FF715D0C6D1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • BD97B266-12A7-418D-8229-4F30E9276EA2.jpeg
    BD97B266-12A7-418D-8229-4F30E9276EA2.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13

Walrus

Congrats and enjoy.
Think you made a good choice.
Of course, I did the same thing. Mine is coming home Friday.
My dealer is delivering. Great guy!

Get2theChoppa

Awesome! The anticipation has got to be killing you lol. I am stubborn, and rode the Harley roughly 80 miles this morning in just above freezing, all to ride the ftr back for about 130 in slightly warmer weather. I can almost feel my toes again.

Walrus

We're having sleet storms in OKC. Ain't tough enough for that.
BTW using the money I "saved" to buy the TOCE exhaust and get a tune. That arrives in two weeks. Will give you an update. I found the information on this site very helpful. That's what's pointed me to TOCE. Was considering an S&S but the thread here convinced me otherwsie.
Thank you all!

DoingOK

We're having sleet storms in OKC. Ain't tough enough for that.
BTW using the money I "saved" to buy the TOCE exhaust and get a tune. That arrives in two weeks. Will give you an update. I found the information on this site very helpful. That's what's pointed me to TOCE. Was considering an S&S but the thread here convinced me otherwsie.
Thank you all!
Welcome to the club. You'll love the Toce w/tune setup.

znew2.JPG