Isn't the fork too harsh ?

Viking06

or am I too old for it ? ;-)

I've only owned dirtbikes and my GS adventure up to last summer when I took my FTR.

Max Kool

Too harsh? It's not perfect, and yes it can be a little harsh but only on really bad or unpaved roads. I think the "S" forks are really not bad.

A dirtbike it is not...

I’m a “ larger” gentleman and I’m grateful for the adjustment and stiffness of the suspension, I definitely don’t find the forks harsh, compared to the Speed Triple RS I had before it, it’s a lounge chair

kiwi dave

Inspired by this conversation, I decided to a have a little tweak of the front suspension.

Reduced rebound dampening front forks 5 clicks from full in (was 9 clicks in).
Reduced compression dampening front forks to zero (was 1 click in).

Very happy with the improvement. I weigh around 92 kilos, so these settings may not be suitable for everyone.

Max Kool

I’m confused, these adjusters are always measured in clicks counter clockwise from fully closed (=most damping, fully clockwise).

kiwi dave

Yeah, I think I confused myself too.

My compression dampening was 1 click from full out, I wound it right out (i.e. fully counter clockwise)
The rebound dampening was 9 clicks from full in, I added another 5 clicks making it 14 clicks out. I also discovered when rechecking the range was only 17 clicks, not 20 clicks as stated in the manual.

Time for another test ride!