Kickstand kill switch

K9F

Very easy to do, but a bit like asking "Has anyone removed the neutral light function?" Why as it is a safety function???

Murdock

Is it a simple switch or a sensor? If it is a sensor you cannot shorten it but need a dummy that simulate its function.

mark.lb

The only reason I see to remove the switch or kick stand is if you are using your bike exclusively for track days. I have a friend who races (not a FTR) and he has removed all the excess street equipment including kick stand. I have no idea how he dealt with the kill switch. The bike is not street legal and can only be help upright with a paddock stand.

Rook

This is the first bike I have ever had that had this kill switch. I find it annoying. Of course I also disabled the seat belt alarm in my car.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Was your last bike from the 80s?

are you going to dissable
The clutch lever safety as well?

look at the sensor. If there are two wires. Just add jumper

Rook

My last bike was a 2000 Springer Softail that I just traded in. Before that a 1973 sportster.

Rook

Order of operations really so a training issue. First thing when I stop is put down the kickstand then put it in neutral shut down the bike. If it’s on a hill I will leave it in gear when parked. Kickstand is the last thing I put up when leaving as when. I don’t have a problem with the clutch safety because I always pull it when starting the bike. Also maneuvering the bike so the kickstand is I the metal plate would have the bike running with the kickstand down

Last edited:

Max Kool

Order of operations really so a training issue.
I agree, and if your order of operation is correct, you will never notice the sidestand switch. ;-)

(I removed it on a few of my thumper allroads that I used offroad. On really bumpy sections the sidestand would swing about a bit and sometimes cut out the engine briefly. So for offroad I see the benefit. For the street, naah)