Magnetic Heater on Oil Pan?

R&R Bound

Has anyone tried to use one of the magnetic heaters on the oil pan to warm the oil awhile for a smoother start and faster warm-up? I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to turn that on a couple of hours before a ride. When my garage is 50-55 degrees (F) I wait until the engine gets to 120 degrees after starting before I ride and then take it easy until it's up to operating temp. (which in my case seems to be most often 173 degrees when moving >20MPH). I have a dipstick heater but would not think it would be a good idea to take out the existing dip-stick frequently let alone the extra mess. Thoughts on this?

Max Kool

There is no dipstick on the FTR afaik, it's a sight glass... and 50-55 degrees F is not exactly very low. Aren't pan heaters typically used when temps get closer to or below 0 degrees F?

Taking it easy until the engine is up to operating temp is always a good idea of course.

R&R Bound

There is no dipstick on the FTR afaik, it's a sight glass... and 50-55 degrees F is not exactly very low. Aren't pan heaters typically used when temps get closer to or below 0 degrees F?

Taking it easy until the engine is up to operating temp is always a good idea of course.
Perhaps I am just used to a smoother running engine immediately upon starting it (like my BMW and Yamaha). I do always let it warm up before I ride. Good catch on the dipstick so I assume that is just an access hole to fill it. Thanks for the response.

K9F

My FTR on a cold day takes just over two miles of gentle riding to reach the 176 degrees in your money (79-80 degrees Celsius in mine) where it sits quite happily. I don't think there are any real benefits to be had heating oil for a couple of hours before when riding it takes but a couple of minutes to achieve exactly the same.

However your electricity provider may be pleased with the increased bill?

mark.lb

I rode both my motorcycles today. It was about 60*F in Pittsburgh this afternoon. I have a get ready to ride routine. First I push the FTR out of garage and start the engine. Then while bike is “warming up“ - I place my iPhone in the X grip plug it into the USB port and select a SiriusXM station. I put on my leather jacket, helmet, sun glasses. Then I pair my Sena 20S Evo with the phone and put on gloves.
What I am getting at is - by the time I am ready to ride - so is the bike. All warmed up and ready to go!

SURLY

Has anyone tried to use one of the magnetic heaters on the oil pan to warm the oil awhile for a smoother start and faster warm-up? I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to turn that on a couple of hours before a ride. When my garage is 50-55 degrees (F) I wait until the engine gets to 120 degrees after starting before I ride and then take it easy until it's up to operating temp. (which in my case seems to be most often 173 degrees when moving >20MPH). I have a dipstick heater but would not think it would be a good idea to take out the existing dip-stick frequently let alone the extra mess. Thoughts on this?
Just do the PV3 retune did mine using Dyno jet canned tune takes 30 mins bike is transformed shit bag to shit hot in 30mins then just treat the engine gently for a couple of miles

mark.lb

I know there are some strong advocates for the Dynojet PV3 on the forum. I Googled the device out of curiosity. For $399.00 I think I will just let the bike warm up a couple of minutes before I ride it. (Other than being a little cold blooded I have not had many of the issues with ECU mapping others are experiencing. I did just have the latest ECU refresh done by the Indian dealership on March 24. Maybe they are starting to get things dialed in.) I took a nice ride this afternoon. The weather was nice, 61*F and the bike ran great.

SURLY

I know there are some strong advocates for the Dynojet PV3 on the forum. I Googled the device out of curiosity. For $399.00 I think I will just let the bike warm up a couple of minutes before I ride it. (Other than being a little cold blooded I have not had many of the issues with ECU mapping others are experiencing. I did just have the latest ECU refresh done by the Indian dealership on March 24. Maybe they are starting to get things dialed in.) I took a nice ride this afternoon. The weather was nice, 61*F and the bike ran great.
I would agree on cost mine cost £430.80 which is a lot of money just to get a bike to run properly however my bike needed a three minute warm up before it would behave and thats a long time standing about waiting to go it actually runs so much better now smooth tick over great throttle responce I am glad I spent the money.
PS glad you got to go for ride we are in lock down in the UK and I am going stir crazy🤢

mark.lb

We are also under a stay at home order. See “the running thread for off topic discussions” for more about this.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member

They are $350 from Fuel moto and they come with a custom tune. or $500 from lloyds with a better tune.

All indian did to fix the cold stall issue with the new update was raise the idle rpm. But it doesnt address the twitchy throttle and fuel surging. Which some people notice more than others.

R&R Bound

I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I will wait until I go to the dealership for the circuit breaker recall to see if they will address the cold start issue. Iowa is not on lockdown so to keep from going stir crazy I ride an hour or two each day (weather permitting) on very lightly traveled county roads.

r3z

I believe to have the updated map from Indian and it doesn't fix the issue. I'm currently working with Fuelmoto to get everything running perfect with my pv3.

r3z

It was for me if it was anything below 80 degrees when starting it would sputter and even had a check engine light twice.

R&R Bound

It was for me if it was anything below 80 degrees when starting it would sputter and even had a check engine light twice.
That's exactly why I thought heating the oil a bit (perhaps above 80 degrees) might help the cold start. Obviously a working map update would be superior to the oil pan heater. I don't mind the few minute warmup period but it seems like it might be harder on engine components to struggle like that.

Max Kool

It’s just the stock map. Flash it, and be a happy biker.

that said, a check engine light is not normal