Maintenance Log

Charliemurphay

Hey everyone, I put this on the other forum too but in case some of you all aren’t on that one...

For those of you who are "particular" about maintenance the way I am, I've gone through the maintenance table for the FTR and made a maintenance interval logsheet in excel for keeping track of dates and miles for maintenance that has been done. You simply entire your bikes current mileage whenever you feel like and the mileage+date for each item done. If it hasnt been done yet I just put 0 miles and the build date of the bike (can be found on steering head label). Provides a quick and easy reference for what is coming due and how many miles/days you've got left on an item. I also added links to Indians site for purchasing the wear items that you may need to buy and fluids as appropriate.

In the course of doing this I noticed that engine coolant is nowhere on the maintenance schedule, so based on research recommendations I set that as a replace every 2 years or 20k miles. Feel free to adjust these things as you want, I do oil changes every 5k miles instead of the recommended 10k for example.

UPDATES:

Added links to assembly views for ordering parts next to specific Maintenance Items. Makes ordering other bits related to the item easy to find.

Added a section for recording valve clearance adjustments. All you need to do is enter the valve clearance as currently measured and it will tell you whether or not it is in spec (based on color of the cell, green is good, red is bad), and enter the current tappet installed and it will tell you the one required to bring back into spec. The formula is based on the calculation in the service manual, if anyone sees any errors in this please let me know. I also included the table of available tappets, with active links to the page to order that tappet (~$30 a piece, @ferraiolo1was right, they aint cheap). I have some fields filled in with arbitrary settings just to show how it works.

Added a section for recording suspension settings. As I am a novice when it comes to setting suspension, this is only a very basic section that currently reflects the factory settings currently set. Simply a way to record what you have changed and nothing else.

Its excel formatted but works in google sheets too.
May be a bit of overkill but , eh thats the way I am about taking care of my stuff...

Of note also is this does NOT include the intervals for the 500 miles break-in service and the 2500mile post break-in service as after those two, service intervals are in increments of 5/10/15/20k miles

Enjoy!
Blank Maintenance Log Link

Charliemurphay

Small UPDATE:

Added a row to allow for more clarification on which valve on which cylinder (i.e. intake, front cyl left valve), and to specify the range and location of suspension adjustments (i.e. compression is on the left fork and has a range of 20 clicks, rebound on the rear shock is on the frame end and has a range of 24 clicks).

I’m open to suggestion for other things to add or change too, let me know!

Charliemurphay

Hey guys, I was tweaking the sheet a bit again. I added a page for logging actual maintenance events (date mileage description etc.) in addition to the maintenance due portion of the sheet. Can switch between the two at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Also added a box for logging compression checks.

S2Davies

Hey everyone, I put this on the other forum too but in case some of you all aren’t on that one...

For those of you who are "particular" about maintenance the way I am, I've gone through the maintenance table for the FTR and made a maintenance interval logsheet in excel for keeping track of dates and miles for maintenance that has been done. You simply entire your bikes current mileage whenever you feel like and the mileage+date for each item done. If it hasnt been done yet I just put 0 miles and the build date of the bike (can be found on steering head label). Provides a quick and easy reference for what is coming due and how many miles/days you've got left on an item. I also added links to Indians site for purchasing the wear items that you may need to buy and fluids as appropriate.

In the course of doing this I noticed that engine coolant is nowhere on the maintenance schedule, so based on research recommendations I set that as a replace every 2 years or 20k miles. Feel free to adjust these things as you want, I do oil changes every 5k miles instead of the recommended 10k for example.

UPDATES:

Added links to assembly views for ordering parts next to specific Maintenance Items. Makes ordering other bits related to the item easy to find.

Added a section for recording valve clearance adjustments. All you need to do is enter the valve clearance as currently measured and it will tell you whether or not it is in spec (based on color of the cell, green is good, red is bad), and enter the current tappet installed and it will tell you the one required to bring back into spec. The formula is based on the calculation in the service manual, if anyone sees any errors in this please let me know. I also included the table of available tappets, with active links to the page to order that tappet (~$30 a piece, @ferraiolo1was right, they aint cheap). I have some fields filled in with arbitrary settings just to show how it works.

Added a section for recording suspension settings. As I am a novice when it comes to setting suspension, this is only a very basic section that currently reflects the factory settings currently set. Simply a way to record what you have changed and nothing else.

Its excel formatted but works in google sheets too.
May be a bit of overkill but , eh thats the way I am about taking care of my stuff...

Of note also is this does NOT include the intervals for the 500 miles break-in service and the 2500mile post break-in service as after those two, service intervals are in increments of 5/10/15/20k miles

Enjoy!
Blank Maintenance Log Link
Thanks so much for that, it'll be really helpful. 👍👏