New FTR owner from North TX

Hey All,

Just picked up a brand new 2019 FTR 1200 in the McKinney TX area. I'm SUPER excited. Man I've missed having some real power under my control!

Here's the real question boys.

Mod priority list:

1. Exhaust
2. Air FIlter
3. ECU Flash (Who should I sent it off to?)

The plan is to do all THREE of those at the same time, since I've read an ECU Flash once you get an exhasut makes a WORLD of difference. But I'm open to suggestions...

Anyway,
Nice to meet ya'll, I'm jacob.

Okay sweet will do Max; is it worth tuning before putting on an exhaust? Or should I hit him up first, before even considering doing a mod?

edgelett

Okay sweet will do Max; is it worth tuning before putting on an exhaust? Or should I hit him up first, before even considering doing a mod?
Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, I got a tune from Ryan for my stock bike - made a MASSIVE difference to throttle response and surging.
then when I got my exhaust, he just sent me a new tune. Lifetime service is included in the cost so no matter your setup, you're good to go!

Charliemurphay

Also my understanding is the K&N air filter does nothing for appreciable gains, so save your money (and your engine with better filtration).

There are two “camps” for tuning. One is Ryan at Lloydz, the other is FuelMoto. Lloydz offers a remote tune based on the exhaust you get, or for more $$ you can send them your ECU and it is supposed to allow them to tune parameters that cannot be done with the PV3 tuner alone.
FuelMoto does remote tuning using a PV3 and if you have anything about their tune you don’t like, record a data log on a ride, send it to them with your complaints and they will work to fix any issue and send you a new tune to try out. I have a FuelMoto tune and their customer service is great.
Both have rave reviews, both offer lifetime support, it really doesn’t matter too much which you decide to go with (unless you’re set on a Toce exhaust, the Lloydz tune is to my understanding specifically optimized for that exhaust). If you are only doing a slip on exhaust and not getting rid of the cat/resonator, you don’t “need” a tune. That said a tune will still wake the bike up real well, even with a bone-stock bike and solves some of the poor running issues that it has had.
Welcome to the forum! There is an FTR specific subsection on the main Indian Motorcycles forum as well that a lot of members here are also active on.

Last edited:
Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, I got a tune from Ryan for my stock bike - made a MASSIVE difference to throttle response and surging.
then when I got my exhaust, he just sent me a new tune. Lifetime service is included in the cost so no matter your setup, you're good to go!
Okay that's great to know. So this morning was my first day with the bike obviously right? So it's cold, prolly 45 degrees F out. I started the bike, it immediately ran for 4 seconds then died. Then the battery died. So I called my dealer, luckily they are super close.

They sent a guy out to jump the bike; I rode it up there and they tested the battery said it was fine. I'm guessing since it's a 2019 and has prolly been sitting forever that it just needs to be ridden to be charged up. So I've put about 50 miles on it so far and no issues now that it's warmer today.

But I do occasionally start it when the bikes cold and it randomly dies... like just random as hell. I've never had a bike do that lol. So I'm going to get that tune ASAP.

Max Kool

Your options are a little depending in the injection software your bike came with. There are two versions in the US. The initial one, called "9L0" and an updated one called "AH2". Pretty sure Ryan will explain it to you.

Is your cold idle around 1200rpm, or more like 1400-1500rpm?

Your options are a little depending in the injection software your bike came with. There are two versions in the US. The initial one, called "9L0" and an updated one called "AH2". Pretty sure Ryan will explain it to you.

Is your cold idle around 1200rpm, or more like 1400-1500rpm?
1200 for sure

Charliemurphay

Your battery may test fine but a lot of 2019’s had bad batteries from the showroom from sitting and not being trickle charged by some dealers so you may need a new one (under warranty) anyways.
The tune will solve the cold starting issues regardless of exhaust.

Max Kool

That could mean your bike is running the original ECU software, which is an advantage if you want to tune it. The old version can be perfectly tuned with a PV-3.

That could mean your bike is running the original ECU software, which is an advantage if you want to tune it. The old version can be perfectly tuned with a PV-3.
I'd been emailing Ryan @ LLoyds and his version meant pulling my ECU entirely and sending it off. If I'm running the older ECU software; that means I could purchase a PV-3, but would still need someone to create a tune for me to install it onto the tuner so I could then flash the bike though right?

Also Max, thanks for taking time out of your day to educate this noob lol. I'm telling you give me 2-3 months this FTR is going to be a monster. I"m so excited for what's to come. This is going to be my daily driver monster for the next 3-5 years if things go right.

Max Kool

In short:

older version: Buy a PV-3 from Ryan, and load the map he makes for you yourself (real easy)
newer version: send in your ECU and receive it back after a few days

The maps you can download for free from Dynojet.com aren't even worth trying, you need one developed by an experienced FTR tuner.

In short:

older version: Buy a PV-3 from Ryan, and load the map he makes for you yourself (real easy)
newer version: send in your ECU and receive it back after a few days

The maps you can download for free from Dynojet.com aren't even worth trying, you need one developed by an experienced FTR tuner.
Ahh okay roger that. The best way to confirm if I have the older ECU is the cold start idle RPM? I'll check it out here in a bit to confirm...

Thanks for the info fam.

Max Kool

No problem. Yeah the cold idle is a sure sign, but maybe Ryan knows more ways to identify the version.

edgelett

If you have the older ECU software and it hasn't been updated, Ryan can tune your bike using a PV3, you don't need to send him your ECU.
But you need to confirm what ECU software you have first

Max Kool

Even the FM "RevB" as they call it seems to have problems shutting the bike down every now and then if you have a linkpipe/decat.

(That's not my personal experience, but I've heard from multiple people)

Charliemurphay

Even the FM "RevB" as they call it seems to have problems shutting the bike down every now and then if you have a linkpipe/decat.

(That's not my personal experience, but I've heard from multiple people)
Interesting, I hadn’t seen anything about that.