New FTR S Rider-- My Thoughts and Ramblings

MotoJedi

Hey Riders--

Today I took advantage of Indian's latest offer and boom FTR 1200 S. Initially I went some weeks back to potentially trade my BMW R1200rt for a Indian touring bike, but after riding all their touring lineup, I came to the conclusion that the BMW is far superior in every way. Anyways, last week the sales rep called me and told me about the no payment for 6months and a massive drop in price on the Indian lineup. I decided let me see what happens, maybe I'll pick up a dark horse. Well I see the FTR and after a 30min test ride, I was smitten. The bike reminds me of the combo .between a Ducati Hypermotard and Ducati Scrambler, albeit heavier and bigger than both of them. I missed having an agile "do it all" bike and with all the discounts, this made it an easy decision.

Looking forward for some mods and meeting everyone.

Last edited:

MotoJedi

Day 2 Impressions:

1. Hot damn! Literally my legs feel like they are being BBQ'd.
  2. The handling, hmm surprise, surprise, not bad and at all. I can lean her pretty aggressively with the right force and the right speed.
  3. The power delivery. All cool--Mr. Hyde the first 1-3K RPMS. Dr. Jeykl from 3-5K RPM. Dr. Jeykl on steroids and crack from 5K and beyond! Takes my god damn breath away.
  4. Indian why couldn't you just put high mount the license plate... y'all knew everyone will replace it. Waist of $200 and time for all new owners.
  5. Yesterday I said, this bike is a cross between a hypermotard and scrambler. Yeah still true, but weight wise and "feel" wise has a little VROD (VRSCR Street Rod DNA) in her as well. In fact the more I ride and think about it, the more VRSCR I feel. *IF you guys don't know what a VRSCR is, HD made them from 2006-2007. They never sold well. I had one from 2010-2012. Like an idiot sold it. Wish I hadn't as the the two bikes are pretty close in DNA.

Last edited:

MotoJedi

Day 3

1. 45 miles mostly in the city, then I managed to find a trail that I'm pretty sure wasn't meant for motorcycles, but I still took.. it was only about 5 miles of hardpacked dirt. Most likely used by the county to manage the lake. Performed admirably off pavement. That said, you can feel it's weight more off pavement than on pavement.
  2. Engine heat is still an issue. I guess it will be so until I get a new exhaust and tune.
  3. Rider fatigue... my boy has grown soft in the last 18months riding the BMW R1200RT... man the RT is so silky smooth and comfortable, you be in the saddle from dawn to dusk with no issues. On this bike, I am clearly fatigued after an hour of aggressive riding. Not a bad thing, just need my body to adjust. IMG_3735.jpgIMG_3735.jpg

K9F

I prefer a motorcycle that you need to ‘work at’ a little. I have no axe to grind with BMW but there is no comparison to be had with them and the FTR whatsoever.
Whilst excellent top quality bikes with fantastic reviews and opinions like yours, personally I think they are so well engineered riding them is un-awe inspiringly boring. That’s why they make great tourers.

MotoJedi

I prefer a motorcycle that you need to ‘work at’ a little. I have no axe to grind with BMW but there is no comparison to be had with them and the FTR whatsoever.
Whilst excellent top quality bikes with fantastic reviews and opinions like yours, personally I think they are so well engineered riding them is un-awe inspiringly boring. That’s why they make great tourers.

You are correct, the RT is so perfect that outside of touring it lives little to enjoy--even though it's a BMW the RT reminds me of a luxury Lexus sedan-sedated, silky, calm, cool and collected. That said, in dynamic mode and a nice route with sweepers it can be a fun bike. Yet, in term of the "fun meter" it's not even close to the FTR. I also like "working" the FTR to make it do what I want it do, Its old school like that for sure and Im enjoying it. The FTR rides like a true muscle car, something conjured up in the late 60 or early 70s and then heavily modified. It's brutish, but then that's exactly why I am drawn to it.

Unlike the RT, the FTR is constantly calling me to ride, windy day, hot day, doesn't matter--something just makes want to get on and ride it.

I am taking the RT out this morning for a cross state ride. I'm going to ride from Tampa to St Augustine....for anything over a couple of hours, nothing compares to the RT though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: K9F

MotoJedi

Since I got the bike from the dealer today, the 40 mile jaunt to my house didn't satisfy. I played a little call of duty, and relaxed and waited for the heat to cool down. Man tonight was beautiful. No wind, good illumination, barely any cars out...80 degrees... perfect riding weather. Geared up and hit the HWY. Took the Gandy bridge from St Pete to Tampa and rode through downtown Tampa. What an absolutely amazing machine. Pushed it 90 on the hwy, but then cooled off as I am still acclimating to the bike.

I've come to realize that the bike starts feeling at home from 5-7K RPM...seems to be the sweet spot. What a blast, what a great machine. My Hypermotard was fun, but this is much, much funner.

Hunter S Thompson, wrote something about...the wind howling....just your thoughts...the blur of the white lines... and sounds of the exhaust in the backdrop.. riding the edge. Yea, tonight was like that.

Last edited: