New Member from KY

Chuckie

Hello everyone,
I joined a few days ago while researching the FTR. I want a 2022 S model. I'm debating on putting a deposit down. I have had several motorcycles and dirtbikes over the years, but I sold my last motorcycle about 9 years ago when my kids where young and there wasn't a lot of time to ride. I have been wanting to get back in the game for a few years now that kiddos are older, daughter is going off to college and son is about the start high school. I have been following the FTR since launch and have been looking at it along with some other bikes, like RNineT, Bonneville, Monster, etc, naked sportish bikes. My last street bike was a ninja 600r. I want something fun, sporty, nice looking but not a full on sport bike. The FTR seems perfect for me.

I contacted a few dealers around me and its seems like $500 will hold me a bike marked as sold. But none of them are willing to move off the msrp. I'm not really interested in the previous model due to wheel size and fueling issues. You guys had any luck with Indian dealers negotiating off of the msrp?
Thanks

K9F

Welcome.

Can only talk of experience this Side of the Pond. With any new model dealers are inherently reluctant to negotiate or budge on new prices. You may cut a great deal on any aftermarket extras or equipment you want to go with your purchase though?

I don't realistically understand the emphasis placed on 17" wheels? There are a great and well-proven selection of tires available for the 18/19" combination.

FTR Tires. List the makes and sizes here. | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

As for the fueling issues: With increasing demands placed on emissions it doesn't matter if it's a 2022 model it still won't run as good as it should out of the crate.

Also how long are you prepared to wait after dropping your deposit? I waited an extra five months after initial estimate of four months delivery.

You could bag yourself a bargain now if you do your research. A 2019 FTR RR for $13500 perhaps? Get it equipped and running like a raped ape and still have money to spare rather than hold out, pay top dollar on something you presume to be exactly what you want out of the box?

Chuckie

Tires just because there's not as many options for street tires in 19/18 as 17. Point on fueling is I want to keep the warranty in tact, which generally in the US, once you tune you lose warranty. I wrench my own stuff so I would do any mods myself and even a 2022 would eventually get a tune when the warranty is up. It is something to think about. As long as I could find some good street tires in 19/18. Thanks for the response 🙂

Reactions: K9F

K9F

No worries. The link above should help with tires and there is quite a wide selection there? I myself have just swapped out my OEM tires for sports ones. As for warranty loss I find personally that this depends entirely of the stance of your dealership and the relationship you have with them. There is loads of great information and positive feedback out there from the two main providers of aftermarket tuning for the FTR. Good luck in your search.

Chuckie

Good to know on the tires options, thank you guys. I won't be doing track days. I have been out of the game for a while. As long as there are some good sticky street tires I'm fine with that. I will talk to my dealer and see about the warranty with a tune. Thank you all. I hope to meet some friends and do some riding!

Chuckie

I found a 2019 for $9500 brand new or a 2019 S for $12500. I really wanted an S due to the ride control and bluetooth integration. And I like the TFT display. What do you guys think? Is it worth $3000 more for the S? The main thing I had to have was cruise control and the standard has that.

D

Deleted member 706

G'day Chuckie, I wanted the S or RR originally but eventually ended up with the standard. As a returning rider I think the standard model is going to blow your hair right back, and you won't miss the extra bells and whistles. Additionally you are getting a good deal so that will offset the depreciation...

Timps27

Also for your consideration, S&S makes a control module that opens up ride modes on the base. Doesn’t get you TFT, adjustable suspension, or lean angle TC; but if ride modes are all you’re looking for there’s this.

As for BT, I tried it a few times but just seems like an unnecessary link, my phone goes to my helmet and does all the controls.

Chuckie

Also for your consideration, S&S makes a control module that opens up ride modes on the base. Doesn’t get you TFT, adjustable suspension, or lean angle TC; but if ride modes are all you’re looking for there’s this.

As for BT, I tried it a few times but just seems like an unnecessary link, my phone goes to my helmet and does all the controls.
Thanks, I was thinking about phone control. You bring up a good point. My phone will be attached to bars and used for navigation system and headset anyways. Not sure a TFT is any easier to use than the touch screen controls on the phone.

I was thinking that the angle sensitive traction control would be a good feature. But Ive had at 7 bikes in my past, maybe more, had 3 at a time once, and I never had abs or traction control. And only had one time where I think it would have helped, on a curve that someone had spilled sand on and I couldn't see it ahead of time, but in that situation I could feel the loss of traction and let off the throttle anyway (of course Ive been loose many times on purpose and in ideal situations). So those things are probably really good for novice riders. And well ive been off the bike for a while so it couldn't hurt to have some nannies as long as I can turn them off when I need to 🙂

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Dont forget the fully adjustable suspension on the S, if you decide to upgrade it down the road you're looking at at least 2k