New tyres

FTRUK

Just picked up a new FTR1200s ......having taken it out for first time ,when traveling on a smooth road I noticed it was very lumpy on front end ,having returned home Jacked it up and run front wheel with straight edge on circumference and noted it has a out of true run of about 3MM along a 5 inch section also noted a small gauge in wheel rim (maybe from transportin).
Any one know if an out of true round by about 3mm would be enough to cause problems.No distortion on rim edges just outer tyre circumference.

K9F

Welcome to the forum also from the UK. As Max has said this realistically is a dealer issue, nevertheless once I change my tyres for the first time I ditch the weights and have used Dynamic Balancing Beads for the last 8 years or so, they will correct your unbalance dynamically. They really are good and available in the UK. They can be used time and time again if you are careful to collect and bag them up (I don't bother but just fit fresh through the valve stem). 2 ounces in each should suffice. Sounds from your description the tyre itself may be defective?

Max Kool

These cast wheels with modern tires need very little balancing weight is my experience. I don’t think that’s the OP’s problem.

mark.lb

Congratulations on the new FTR! I too would return to the dealership and have them take a look at the issue. It could be as simple as a improperly balanced wheel...

FTRUK

Thanks for the replies guys, Iam sure it will be rectified ,I was just wondering if a 3 or 4mm defect in true round would cause this lumpy feeling, like riding with a bulge or flat on tyre.The bead on tyre looks even all around.No sunshine at moment so not too disappointed,can’t wait to try it out,when fixed.There is a small gouge in rim ,so maybe damaged by transporting when strapped down in transit to here.Sounds fantastic S&S slip on and de cat .