Oil Site Glass

J0988

Anyone else’s site glass register no oil when on the side stand, but show all the way up to the top arrow when upright? Pretty sure mine used to show oil even when on the side stand...

Maybe just lost some viscosity after a couple thousand miles??

Last edited:

Max Kool

The only way to use to check the oil level is: ride your bike for at least 10 minutes, let it idle for 30 seconds -while keeping the bike upright-, shut down the engine and immediately, within 10 seconds, check the level while still keeping the bike upright.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

The only way to use the check the oil level is: ride your bike for at least 10 minutes, let it idle for 30 seconds -while keeping the bike upright-, shut down the engine and immediately, within 10 seconds, check the level while still keeping the bike upright.
^This is the way.

J0988

Yeah you’re not supposed to be looking at your oil level on the side stand..

Yeah, I know. Was just wondering why it wasn’t registering even a little on the side stand even after warmup. Looks like I need to not just let it warm up, but ride it a bit before for an accurate reading.

Last edited:

J0988

The only way to use to check the oil level is: ride your bike for at least 10 minutes, let it idle for 30 seconds -while keeping the bike upright-, shut down the engine and immediately, within 10 seconds, check the level while still keeping the bike upright.

Thanks! I was just letting it warmup to operating temp, but not actually going for a ride.

Anyone else’s site glass register no oil when on the side stand, but show all the way up to the top arrow when upright? Pretty sure mine used to show oil even when on the side stand...

Maybe just lost some viscosity after a couple thousand miles??
I also show no oil when it’s on the side stand. And I keep seeing pictures of FTRs on their site stands and the oil is showing half or full. Maybe they just came from a ride and its still showing that way.

K9F

Ignore it when on the side stand. Even when upright and carrying out an oil change, once drained and three quarts are put back in there is no oil whatsoever showing in the site glass at all until you run the bike for 30 seconds as instructed in the manual. That's what manuals are for.

J0988

I also show no oil when it’s on the side stand. And I keep seeing pictures of FTRs on their site stands and the oil is showing half or full. Maybe they just came from a ride and its still showing that way.

Yep, that’s why I started the thread. Always seeing pics of FTRs on the side stand showing oil in the site glass. It’s definitely that they had just been ridden.

Charliemurphay

Yep, that’s why I started the thread. Always seeing pics of FTRs on the side stand showing oil in the site glass. It’s definitely that they had just been ridden.
After my dealer did the break-in service, they overfilled it and it showed oil on the side stand all the time with the level going to the very top of the glass (beyond the full line when standing). The receipt showed they used four quarts. When I did my own oil change I put three quarts in and it showed nothing on the side stand (even after running) but was exactly in the middle of the glass when standing up. 3 qts is perfect when you do your own oil changes.

J0988

After my dealer did the break-in service, they overfilled it and it showed oil on the side stand all the time with the level going to the very top of the glass (beyond the full line when standing). The receipt showed they used four quarts. When I did my own oil change I put three quarts in and it showed nothing on the side stand (even after running) but was exactly in the middle of the glass when standing up. 3 qts is perfect when you do your own oil changes.

Dang! Did you say anything to them about that? I always wonder, with new models like the FTR, if dealers even really know what they’re doing half the time. Hopefully they do...

Charliemurphay

Dang! Did you say anything to them about that? I always wonder, with new models like the FTR, if dealers even really know what they’re doing half the time. Hopefully they do...
I didn’t. I just drained a little bit out (carefully and messily) but it was still pretty full. I’m going to be doing 5k mile intervals for changes so the next time the dealer will touch it is at 10k miles (if I let them).

Ultratoad

Thanks! I was just letting it warmup to operating temp, but not actually going for a ride.
You don't have to ride it.... Buy a wheel chock, stand the bike upright in the chock. Start and run your bike for 5 minutes.... Turn it off and let it sit for 3 minutes (oil returns from heads to sump).... Check your oil level.... Will be accurate.... Very simple....

Max Kool

Nope, that's not the procedure. Sorry

edit: this is a semi drysump engine. Oil is scavenged from the sump into the oil reservoir as the engine runs. Only on a hot engine do the oil pump and the scavenge pump reach the desired balance to check the oil level.

And you need to check it right after shutdown, not 3 minutes later. On older engines oil may slowly seep back into the sump which may lead to a false low reading.

Last edited:

Ultratoad

Well.... It works just fine.... In keeping with the manual.... AND my Indian mechanic says it will work just fine....

Charliemurphay

Checking oil level per service manual; 9282C518-737E-40D6-AAEF-8928E7B0BE3C.jpeg
TLDR: Run or ride for 5-10 min to get to operating temp, shutdown, stand bike upright, check level. No waiting, immediate is accurate and engine must be hot.

Also, 3 qts after an oil+filter change will bring you right to the middle of the sight glass when using the above level checking “procedure.”