Opinion? S&S Exhaust.

Clubman

Hi everyone! New member here with a new FTR Carbon and looking for accessories, specifically a slip on muffler. I like the looks of the S&S and would like to know what people who have this pipe think of it. I have no interest in a decat pipe or anything excessively loud (I have neighbors, they have guns). Interested mostly in a better looking and lighter system. A little better sound would be OK too. Performance not important either (if this bike isn't fast enough for you , buy a Ducati ) . Thanks for your thoughts.

Charliemurphay

I had it as my first exhaust. I tried with and without the cat. In my option it sounds absolute best with the cat installed and the db reducer removed. Nice and rumble, deep bass idle without being obnoxious when you get on it. With the cat and the db reducer installed, it sounds the same as the stock exhaust imo. Without the cat I was self conscious about how loud it was even with the db reducer installed. It was waayyyyy too loud in that config imo. The db reducer can be difficult to remove the first time. Good exhaust all round.

Clubman

I had it as my first exhaust. I tried with and without the cat. In my option it sounds absolute best with the cat installed and the db reducer removed. Nice and rumble, deep bass idle without being obnoxious when you get on it. With the cat and the db reducer installed, it sounds the same as the stock exhaust imo. Without the cat I was self conscious about how loud it was even with the db reducer installed. It was waayyyyy too loud in that config imo. The db reducer can be difficult to remove the first time. Good exhaust all round.
Excellent! Just the info I needed. I think this may be the unit I want. Thanks!

Max Kool

Just know it’s hot under your leg. A coworker that has it on his FTR talks about a permanent blister on his right leg.

And yes, it’s not quite ergonomic.

Azamatka

The debaffled stock '23 Carbon R exhaust sounds nice as well! Can't tell the difference from the debaffled Alrapovic.

The process of taking the baffles out is a little tricky though.

Azamatka

That was a only drawback I could see with going new. On the other hand we got the new round display which I like.
I pulled the new cans off just to heft them and they are a good chunk of weight, must be all stainless...
Indeed. That and the gray trellis frame color.

Azamatka

My bike is '22 R Carbon, so I'm a happy owner of Akras, which were almost ruined by our local Indian Motorcycle Workshop guys. I still can't comprehend why I asked them to drill the muffler caps for $130 instead of doing it nice and easy myself for $0. They're nice guys and all but drilling muffler caps is not their forte at all.

As for the '23, I think you might want to check these links out:

Clubman

Update. I decided to go with the S&S slip on and it arrived today. First ride impression is: perfect! Just what I had in mind. Sound is mellow and only slightly more volume than stock with db killer still in, which is where it will stay. Nice little burble on overrun too. Thanks for all your info, it was right on. Now on to more carbon fiber farkles!20240111_143809.jpg

Blue1

I rode with an S&S for about a season and couldn't take it anymore, put the stock Akra's back on (de-catted, they sound good).

Always had loud-piped fours which would be tolerable if you peddled the throttle a little, but that is apparently no help with 600cc cylinders. Very loud under all rpm's and throttle position, like an open pipe, which it almost is.

Tripack

I rode with an S&S for about a season and couldn't take it anymore, put the stock Akra's back on (de-catted, they sound good).

Always had loud-piped fours which would be tolerable if you peddled the throttle a little, but that is apparently no help with 600cc cylinders. Very loud under all rpm's and throttle position, like an open pipe, which it almost is.
Are you saying the S&S slip-on (the one on the picture above from Clubman) with the DB killer in was too much? Almost like an open pipe?

Staedtler

I have run both S&S and Akras with and without baffles in, and to me, S&S and Akra's sound about as loud as each other without the baffles in. The benefit the S&S had was to give a bit more foot room and less weight.
S&S and Akras become 'straight through' without their DB killer in, they just have the perforated tube and wadding to absorb some of the high frequency noise.
S&S and db killer in was not very much louder than stock (I have a MY19)

Blue1

I was under the impression all S&S pipes shipped with the DB killer in, but mine just looked as described above, just a straight pipe with a perforated tube...maybe mine didn't ship with the DB killer?

I'd like to put the S&S back on, but I already spent enough money on this without paying for a DB killer I should have received originally.

Staedtler

Mine came with the DB killer fitted, I had to remove the 3 screws from the end cap and tap it off to access the db killer so that I could remove it.