Opinions on 500 mile break in service

Zilonis

My 19' FTR is now at 525 miles so she's due for the break-in service. From my understanding this service consists of changing the oil/filter and then an inspection of specific components which is all outlined in the owners manual. I'm a capable mechanic therefore wondering if it's worth the $250-$325! for a dealer to do it (2 quotes from different dealers) or if I should just do it myself.

I'm curious - did you do the service yourself or did you shell out the money to the stealership for "peace of mind"?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
my dealer only charged $140 if i remember correctly.

Oil change kit and one hr of labor. But i wouldnt pay more than that.

You can just buy the oil change kit and adjust your chain yourself.

Timps27

Or save even more by not buying the kit. The filter is a widely used automotive filter, any car shop with decent inventory is going to have dozens of them in stock in differing supplier options. And the Indian oil is outsourced to a company that makes lubes for all kinds of “proprietary” applications. There aren’t a ton of options in 15W40, I use Amsoil, it’s a reputable brand and the cost/qt. is appreciably cheaper. Last I did the maths I was at about $50/change vs. the $77 (plus applicable tax/delivery).

Timps27

Lol, yes, was looking at a stack of 10w40 for my Tiger/450X when I wrote that and clearly had a mental slip.

Zilonis

Or save even more by not buying the kit. The filter is a widely used automotive filter, any car shop with decent inventory is going to have dozens of them in stock in differing supplier options. And the Indian oil is outsourced to a company that makes lubes for all kinds of “proprietary” applications. There aren’t a ton of options in 15W40, I use Amsoil, it’s a reputable brand and the cost/qt. is appreciably cheaper. Last I did the maths I was at about $50/change vs. the $77 (plus applicable tax/delivery).
Nice! I knew there had to be a way to source the oil and filter cheaper. It's silly, my car gets 5 quarts Royal Purple and premium filter for ~$20 less than what Indian wants for 4 quarts, a filter and 2 washers.

Speaking of which, any specifics to look for with the washers? I've seen @ferraiolo1 mention we could anneal the old ones but I've never tried that before.

Max Kool

Done that many times, it's not rocket surgery. Heat it up till it glows, and drop it in water. Making sure the contact areas are super clean is more important that a new copper washer.

Serious, a single grain of sand has a bigger chance of making the plug leak, than a pre used washer. Also with a new washer.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah you can YouTube how to do it. I saved my old ones so I always have a set done. Also a

HIFLO FILTRO HF198 Premium Oil Filter​

fits. And $10 but with a nut on the end for easy removal.

also you can buy the Indian retro oil cans right now at 50% off. Same oil, just in a can

Timps27

4 qts for $50 is a decent price, but they are in a pretty container, I’d almost feel bad breaking them open. Almost.

FTRUK

My 19' FTR is now at 525 miles so she's due for the break-in service. From my understanding this service consists of changing the oil/filter and then an inspection of specific components which is all outlined in the owners manual. I'm a capable mechanic therefore wondering if it's worth the $250-$325! for a dealer to do it (2 quotes from different dealers) or if I should just do it myself.

I'm curious - did you do the service yourself or did you shell out the money to the stealership for "peace of mind"?
It’s more to do with invalidating your warranty ,if the services are not carried out at the specific mileage and time by an authorised garage .Check with your dealer to be sure.

Max Kool

In many parts of the world they can't deny you warranty if service was performed by someone or some party other than the Indian dealer, as long you keep records that it was actually done. Keeping receipts being a first.

And seeing how Indian offers oil change kits, pads, airfilter etc on the website including instructions, they're actually encouraging us to do our maintenance.

Zilonis

So I went to my dealer yesterday and reluctantly gave them $75 for the FTR oil change kit. I told myself this is the only time I'll buy the kit, I was going there anyways to buy a jacket so I just said eff it.

A few things to note for those that haven't done the change before:
- Indian's video on youtube for the oil change says 3 quarts, mine took 3.5. Per the manual "3 US quarts will bring the engine oil level at or near the “FULL” mark on the sight glass. For a new or rebuilt (dry) engine add an additional .5 US quart (.47 Liters)."
- After adding 3 quarts the sight glass still showed empty. Only after running the engine did the sight glass show the correct level.
- There is a 6mm allen key fixed to the bike up next to the oil filter. So if you cant find one, your bike comes with the tool to remove the plugs, but you won't be able to torque back down with that allen.
- The oil change kit from Indian is overpriced

Side note - the Dealer said I can do the break-in maintenance myself w/o voiding my warranty but to be safe keep the receipt for the oil change kit.

K9F

......- The oil change kit from Indian is overpriced.........

Not from where I'm sat it's not!

In your money over here the oil change I did myself cost me over $138 in your money so that should go part way to take the sting out of your paltry $75. Most expensive oil change I have ever done.
In comparison I just dropped the oil on my Mini Cooper, filled using fully synthetic and replaced the plugs for Bosch Iridiums and the price was the same $138 and that included me going back to buy a special extra long magnetic 14mm plug socket to dig them out.

Charliemurphay

Oil only shows on the glass after running and as I recall without looking it up they want you to check the level within 30 seconds after shutdown for an accurate reading because of its semi-dry sump design. My bike personally takes 3 qts at oil+filter change and that brings it just a bit below halfway on the sight glass.

Rix005

The first 500 mile service is required to maintain your warranty. After that diy with recipients is sufficient.